Which tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I can either do a low-light low tech medium planted 20 gal long

OR

I can do a 5 gal high-light high tech fully planted 5 gallon tank.

What do you guys prefer?

I can either do a low-light low tech medium planted 20 gal long

OR

I can do a 5 gal high-light high tech fully planted 5 gallon tank.

What do you guys prefer?

I will go ahead and speak for the whole community, bigger is better.

I will go ahead and speak for the whole community, bigger is better.

Size I don't care about too much. That just decides wether I'm going to do shimp or neons.

The main question is, small heavily planted jungle, or vast medium planted prairie.

Well if you go 20 gallon it's a lot easyer to take care of and then you could upgrade to high tech eventually.

But if your knowlageAble about fish keeping, shrimp would be cool.

Well if you go 20 gallon it's a lot easyer to take care of and then you could upgrade to high tech eventually.

But if your knowlageAble about fish keeping, shrimp would be cool.

High-tech on a 20 long would be out of my 14 year old-no job budget. I had an awesome idea that if I do this instead of the 75 gallon reef my parents will pay for. So I thought I could have 2 fluval specs and 1 20 long. Left side will be a fluval spec, heavily planted jungle. Bunch of plants on the left slowly fading to shorter plants on the right. Then in the middle is a 20 gallon long. On the left side of the 20 long it will continue to transition into smaller plants from the fluval. It will eventually just get to a dwarf hair grass prairie with a few rocks (maybe some small iwagumi rocks?). And then the dwarf hair grass will stop and transition to sand. The sand will go over to the fluval on the right side (reef or fowlr. Idk) with live rock really high on the right side and with a nice slope toward the 20. I will draw a picture tommorow.

High-tech on a 20 long would be out of my 14 year old-no job budget. I had an awesome idea that if I do this instead of the 75 gallon reef my parents will pay for. So I thought I could have 2 fluval specs and 1 20 long. Left side will be a fluval spec, heavily planted jungle. Bunch of plants on the left slowly fading to shorter plants on the right. Then in the middle is a 20 gallon long. On the left side of the 20 long it will continue to transition into smaller plants from the fluval. It will eventually just get to a dwarf hair grass prairie with a few rocks (maybe some small iwagumi rocks?). And then the dwarf hair grass will stop and transition to sand. The sand will go over to the fluval on the right side (reef or fowlr. Idk) with live rock really high on the right side and with a nice slope toward the 20. I will draw a picture tommorow.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you are going to do DHG in a low light, low tech tank.

I have only low light, low tech tanks. I love them, and I actually prefer the jungle-ish look to the well manicured and pristine planted tanks that look as if they have no hairs out of place.

Don't get me wrong - those tanks are beautiful, and my hat's off to the folks who conceptualized and carried out the plan. I just personally prefer a more natural looking tank, where sometimes (okay, oftentimes) the crypts run over and mix it up with the stems, and the pygmy chain swords have colonized the foreground.

Just my $.02.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you are going to do DHG in a low light, low tech tank.

I have only low light, low tech tanks. I love them, and I actually prefer the jungle-ish look to the well manicured and pristine planted tanks that look as if they have no hairs out of place.

Don't get me wrong - those tanks are beautiful, and my hat's off to the folks who conceptualized and carried out the plan. I just personally prefer a more natural looking tank, where sometimes (okay, oftentimes) the crypts run over and mix it up with the stems, and the pygmy chain swords have colonized the foreground.

Just my $.02.

The 20 would be high light - high tech if I choose to do this. It's a hard decision.

Woah! Sounds really interesting. Is this like Rcguerra's 3 tank thing? I would personally do the larger tank. I am just getting into shrimp, and they are pretty cool...so let me see if I understand. Starting on the left is a nice plant jungle, then it slowly fades into a more beachy look, and then to a reef?

Woah! Sounds really interesting. Is this like Rcguerra's 3 tank thing? I would personally do the larger tank. I am just getting into shrimp, and they are pretty cool...so let me see if I understand. Starting on the left is a nice plant jungle, then it slowly fades into a more beachy look, and then to a reef?

It goes from jungle to prairie to beach/ocean. I think it would add a wow factor to the house, making me and my parents happy.

Back
Top Bottom