Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-05-2005, 01:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to fastfly48 Send a message via MSN to fastfly48 Send a message via Yahoo to fastfly48
Why is my Kh dropping?

Hello all.

Ok, heres the story...
My Kh from the tap is 80ppm, plenty hard, and my Ph from the tap is 7ppm...perfect.
However, In my tank (thats full with the water from my tap...) my Kh is only 40ppm and Ph is drastically swinging from 6 to 7ppm.

I'm injecting C02 at a very slow rate, just under a bubble a secind...because any higher and my Ph drops too much.
I haven't added any Kh buffers at all...though I did just take out a phosgaurd filter insert from my filter. Could that have affect the Kh much? I *think* that maybe the phosgaurd lowered my Kh...So I'm hoping now that It's (phosgaurd) gone that my Kh will/should rise and be the same as the Kh from my tap (80ppm)...which would make sense!

So with my low Kh, at the moment, it's making it really difficult to get much C02 in the tank with out crashing my pH...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Ry.

Pressurized C02
fish: 8 neon, 4 rosy barbs
, 2 brs. pleco
Shatered dreams of yesteryear, cloud horizons in shades of grey.
fastfly48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The Phosgard should only be removing Phosphates which can buffer the water but are not read as a part of the KH test. There must be something else in you water that is causing the KH to change. Since you are injecting CO2, you probably have a high light setup. What is you fertilizing schedule? I'm guessing that your plants are grabbing nutrients from you KH as a result of not getting enough of one of the ferts that they need.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

First off, pH isn't measured in ppm, so don't put that after your pH readings

How often are you doing water changes, and in what volume? A 50% change once a week is the norm for planted tanks. Kh shouldn't dip rapidly. Usually it drops over the course of a couple months when water changes aren't done, the CO2 creates carbonic acid which breaks down the carbonate molecules, lowering Kh.

Otherwise, Valisneria sp. can also leech carbonate from the water colum, especially if they are lacking calcium. What's your Gh like in the tap and in the tank?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to fastfly48 Send a message via MSN to fastfly48 Send a message via Yahoo to fastfly48
Thaks guys.
I'm doing about 50% a week of water changes...though more like two 25% changes than one big 50% one. That's alright right?
What's Gh? I doubt I have a test for it if I don't know what it is! Phosphate i guess?

Keep me up to speed!
Cheers.
Ry.
Pressurized C02
, 2 brs. pleco
Old 12-05-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gh= General Hardness (everythign else that adds to hardness of water, aside from Kh/Carbonate hardness)

Phosphate is P04.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks Malkore.
Sorry, I forget to give you my Fetilizing schedule...
I just add AZOO Chelated Ferrite Liquid every week with my water change.
On the bottle it says it's made of organic ion (not iron) complex...?

Ry.
Pressurized C02
, 2 brs. pleco
Old 12-07-2005, 08:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Do you have a piece of driftwood that might be affecting the kh?
Fauna: gold nugget pleco, otto (3), leopard danio (4), zebra danio (4), hatchets (4), white cloud danio (4), ghost shrimp (4)
Flora: balansae, grn wendtii, red wendtii, tiger lotus, narrow leaf chain sword, java fern,
anubias pygmy, anubias barteri, anubias coffeefolia, dwarf sag, corkscrew val
Filtration: Rena XP3
kristap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You know, I re-read your post. Just under a bubble per second? That's actually a pretty high CO2 flow. I run less than that, and my Kh is 160ppm.

I think you need to turn down the CO2 to about 1 bubble per 2 seconds, or 30 per minute.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com