Will the real dwarf sag please stand up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh2o

Aquarium Advice Addict
I purchased dwarf sag from two different vendors.
uXTXhv5.jpg

The plants on the left were purchased about a month ago. Pretty sure it was grown emersed. The plants on the right were purchased about 5 months ago. Notable differences between the two are the leaf width and height. The leaves on the right are broader and lower to the ground. The ones on the left project at a more upward angle and are thinner. I know the transition from emerged to aquatic may take some time. Also, the ones on the right were under a dual T5 NO for three months (bleh) and then a Finnex FugeRay led for the last two months. The ones on the left strongly resemble the broadleaf chain sword I have in another part of the tank.
Any thoughts?

Sorry pic is a little blurry (iPhone and cropped/zoomed). Only talking about the foreground plants; ignore the others.

One on left looks similar to my dwarf amazon sword grass.

I agree. I think I am going to let it grow out a bit and see what happens. If it continues to grow somewhat "tall" then I will move it away from the foreground.

I use it for foreground as I have moneywort and red/bronze Wendtii with it in a 10 gallon.

The dwarf sag on the left looks just like mine did when I had it in the 220. It got 5-6" tall and spread like a weed.

This is mines if it helps.

Yes it does help. Help with my confusion. JK

I wonder if there can be variations of the same species? Or might this be the case where plants differ because they were grown in different conditions? Or both?
I just want a consistent looking "field" of dwarf sag.

I decided to separate the two groups of dwarf sag because the taller one did not look good up front and I did not want the runners to get too entangled with the original group. I moved back a bit near a new piece of DW. It opens up the view to the Bacopa caroliniana I just replanted:
sVml9xU.jpg

Just an update: after adding DIY CO2, the plant growth has really taken off and the differences between the two dwarf sag groups is more evident. The group on the left has several blades reaching the surface while the group on the right (middle front of tank) produce broad, short leaves. Glad I separated them.
zfvS8zj.jpg

Yea, the one on left is definitely dwarf amazon sword as they are thin tall blades. This happens when there is strong light. If you light source was not good, it would be shorter.

The one on the left looks identical to my dwarf chain sword. The other one looks like dwarf sag.

This is a repost from my FresH2O's 20g Planted Rescape thread that has relevance and closure:

An OMG moment here...room is spinning. Okay, just a *little* dramatic.

When I placed an order through AquariumPlants dot com I thought there was some kind of mistake. I ordered 20 Dwarf Sag and 10 Broadleaf Chain Swords. When the order arrived I thought the dwarf sag were the smaller, bright green plants and the chain swords were the taller, thinner plants. I also thought the amounts were reversed. I did not complain since it was my first plant order and went about with the planting. It did strike me as odd in the back of my mind why the chain swords were called broadleaf when in fact they were quite thin and strap like. So when the order of dwarf sag arrived from Peabody Paradise, I thought something was not right with that order as well. They did not look anything like the "dwarf sag" I already had. In hindsight, the order of dwarf sag from Peabody Paradise is an exact match with the (now) dwarf sag from AP. I feel soooo taxonomically challenged at the moment.

Well then, I stand corrected. Thanks <aqua_chem> for pointing this out. I can go on with my life (okay inject drama here) and maybe do a carpet of broadleaf chain swords. Again, thanks.

Just an update. The plant I thought was dwarf sag was actually broadleaf chain sword. Last month I removed quite a bit of it and placed it outside in a small water feature. Exposed to sunlight and outdoor conditions, the new growth has taken a different appearance; shorter, wider leaves. Too bad it is fall time; would have been interesting to see what this would look like if it had grown outdoors all summer.
04qQwwO.jpg

Back
Top Bottom