Wy Renegades 30gal Riparium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alrighty After much discussion and research;
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/riparium-waterfall-idea-need-some-input-191277.html

I'm moving ahead again with this build. Conceptually designed a waterfall for the terresterial and picked up a piece of 1 1/4" PVC pipe, some end caps, connections and black silicone last night, to put it to the test.

Here are the assorted parts that will be incorperated into the hidden water chamber in order to prevent water from spraying across the tank;
img_1778826_0_b02dc0dc123f02372cb64a43d1411315.jpg

Little glue and solvent to put it all together;
img_1778826_1_dff91620c5a2c06679883fabcd44885f.jpg

And here we are all assembled;
img_1778826_2_5ad4e3c92747a0ce31fab680b5ffef4d.jpg

I get a little spill over just at start up using a MJ1200, but figure I should be ok with the canister as the reservoir shouldn't bleed off. I cut the tube down to an overall length of about 12.5", and drimmeled out a small spout area. With the maxijet, the total volume of flow is enough to overflow the entire pipe rather than remain contained to the spout, but I'm hoping I can throttle things back enough to keep it contained. Only time will tell.

Here's a picture to give you a bit of an idea of the overall direction this is headed (excuse the finger);
img_1778826_3_5a3b8944ec7ac603c1d4f52602af9de9.jpg

Now that the core design is done, this weekend I'll get started foaming and building the exterior of the waterfall around the core. My hope is to have the PVC spill into a small pool around the top of the pipe and then fall down a rock incline into a larger pool at the bottom. This larger pool will then spill over the retaining wall and into the larger water area.

Tomorrow, I hope to drill a few more holes into the back wall. One to allow for the tubing for the waterfall, one for a DIY overflow, one for a return, and maybe one for a drip wall.
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2 and weights %3.

Yeah Ouch LOL! I think I would have been alright, but on that last hole I was on the wrong side and leaned a little too far out. It didn't actually break due to the drilling, but rather when the bit dropped through, the drill hit the edge of the glass and cracked it. So I learned to do something new.

Man, that tank is so holey, it belongs in a church!

Sucks that you've had so many problems. I'd probably agree that an acrylic tank would make your life easier.

It might at that. Never tried working with acrylic before however, and I really don't have the time to mess with it at the moment. So glass is just going to have to work. I've already started redesigning it, now that I have a better idea of where I want to end up. Mostly sleepless nights are good for something ;). The problems have been a pain, but each one has been a learning experience, so its all good.

Back
Top Bottom