Comprehensive List Of Plant Profiles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What you have is probablly water lettuce. It grows like duckweed or frogbit indoors but if you take some and put it outside in direct sunlight and put some ferts in the water it should start growing like ii n the picture.

Yes I was told by someone else it requires real sunlight and will never grow correctly in tanks,

Yes I was told by someone else it requires real sunlight and will never grow correctly in tanks,

I have grown it (Water Lettuce) indoors under LED lighting (Finnex FugeRay). It will grow and multiply, although I did observe that for a few months it really slowed down (Jan-Feb). The main difference is the size. The ones I kept indoors were about 1-2" in diameter; after bringing them outside by midsummer they were the 4-5" (width & height).

Just wanted to add my thanks as well for the list, very helpful. It also widened my horizon on plants for future tanks. Will def refer back to this (y)

Wow, this is great and really timely. Just adding my thanks as well and so I can find it again. I've read every aquarium book at the library but there is little on plants. I've just been bunging them in the tank mostly and now realize there is a lot of art/science to it. Thanks again :)

I'll be back when setting up a new tank... And prob every other day.
Thank man you're the tits.

Jackpot! Why is this not stickied to the planted tank forum also? Primo info here and tons of exposure for beginners! 4 years later but still, I feel like I just found the Holy Grail! Well Played OP!!!

Common Name:Anacharis

Scientific Name:Egeria Densa

Category:Stem Plants

Temperature:50 - 82.4F(10 - 28C)

pH:5 - 7.5

Lighting:Low

Growth Rate:Very Fast

Difficulty:Very Easy

Origin:Brazil

Position in Aquascape:Background, Mid-Ground

I have some of these plants in my tank but most of them are losing all there leaves. Why is that? Is it that there is no co2 I. The water for the plants? My lighting is good. I'll post a picture tomorrow of them.

I have some of these plants in my tank but most of them are losing all there leaves. Why is that? Is it that there is no co2 I. The water for the plants? My lighting is good. I'll post a picture tomorrow of them.

Are they new to the tank? Plants will often shed old leaves when placed in a new tank, the leaves shed were grown in a different water column and were appropriate to that tank. When placed in a new tank the plant will grow new leaves to better gain nutrients from that water. This process can be frustrating, but makes it that much better when they start thriving. If you start seeing new growth soon this may be the case. Don't think it's an issue of Co2 as low light plants don't usually require it in large amounts. Be interested to see the pics, as this can help identify any issues. Also post your tank stats with the pics including size, lights, stock, and water quality( ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph).

Are they new to the tank? Plants will often shed old leaves when placed in a new tank, the leaves shed were grown in a different water column and were appropriate to that tank. When placed in a new tank the plant will grow new leaves to better gain nutrients from that water. This process can be frustrating, but makes it that much better when they start thriving. If you start seeing new growth soon this may be the case. Don't think it's an issue of Co2 as low light plants don't usually require it in large amounts. Be interested to see the pics, as this can help identify any issues. Also post your tank stats with the pics including size, lights, stock, and water quality( ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph).

No they are not in a new tank. I have had the tank set up for months now. The tank size is 55g. It has led lighting that I keep on during daylight hours.
The nitrate is between 0-20ppm. Closer to the zero. Nitrite is 0ppm. ph7.8
I have it stocked with 4 GBR 5 mollies 2 plattys 2-3 ghosts shrimp 3 bristle nose algae eaters that max out at 6in but are about 1 1/2 right now 3 neon tetras 6 zebra danios and two Bolivian rams. It's maxed out when it comes to it being stocked with fish. Here are some pictures. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403111251.390937.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403111265.071188.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403111281.040271.jpg

If no recent changes in water quality, I would guess the lighting. Are those the Marineland Stock Hood LEDs? They won't support much in terms of plants unfortunately, even with 2.

I have one of those hoods on my 10 gallon, and when I decided to get into plants, I found there wasn't really an option for a LED light that would both fit in the hood , and sustain plants. It may be a good idea to start a new thread under the equipment forum and get some recommendations/advice on lighting. I just don't know enough about lighting to recommend something, as I settled for plants that could pretty much grow in the dark(Java Fern & anubias) in my tank with that hood...

Are there any Hygrophila or similar style plants that would be suitable for a medium height midground plant? All the ones I saw here were listed as midground/background but I thought there was one that stayed short and bushy... It would be under two T5HO 54 watt bulbs and one T8 32 watt bulb on a 75 gallon tank and Excel dosing (no injected CO2) at around 82-84F temp. Suggestions would be much appreciated :)

Are there any Hygrophila or similar style plants that would be suitable for a medium height midground plant? All the ones I saw here were listed as midground/background but I thought there was one that stayed short and bushy... It would be under two T5HO 54 watt bulbs and one T8 32 watt bulb on a 75 gallon tank and Excel dosing (no injected CO2) at around 82-84F temp. Suggestions would be much appreciated :)

There are various compact strains I believe of certain hygros. I use mine as a back ground plant but i trim it so it's layered from my midground.

There are various compact strains I believe of certain hygros. I use mine as a back ground plant but i trim it so it's layered from my midground.

Yep, I do that with my background plants as well. I'm looking for something to go in front of those though, so I don't want it getting tall enough that it's blocking the front levels of the background plants :)

I have giant baby tears just in front of my hygro c. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407450381.627879.jpg
Similar looking but doesn't block out my hygro but I'm just waiting for it all to grow in abit I've just done some major trimming of my hygro.

I took a break from this hobby a few months after I started this thread and it’s been a few years since then. I’m about to set up a 75 gallon planted tank and I found my self going through the whole thread to refresh and reteach my self about aquarium plants. I didn’t realize back then that this will help me in the future. Oh how much I miss having an aquarium.

I took a break from this hobby a few months after I started this thread and it’s been a few years since then. I’m about to set up a 75 gallon planted tank and I found my self going through the whole thread to refresh and reteach my self about aquarium plants. I didn’t realize back then that this will help me in the future. Oh how much I miss having an aquarium.
Welcome back, I just read through a few of your old threads, you had some nice setups running. I'm a new discusaholic myself..

Back
Top Bottom