Indian Almond Leaves Playing Havoc With Ph Balance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottsheldrick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I recently added IAL to my tank for my Kuhli Loaches, neon tetras and Bristlenose Pleco to provide extra cover and create 'darker' water in the hope of replicating their natural environment as much as possible.

Unfortunately, since adding the leaves my ph levels have been dropping all the way down to 6.0 before i perform a water change to counteract this. My tap water is 6.8..

Has anyone had these issues before or have any recommendations as to what i should do next?

I'm starting to think that all the benefits of the IAL are being outweighed by this ph issue..

Thanks

They'll do that... Wouldn't worry about it too much..just don't add as many.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They'll do that... Wouldn't worry about it too much..just don't add as many.

Thanks, i only have 2 in there at present but might take one out to see if that works.

How big is the tank?

That's a little shy of 12 US gallons.
I'm thinking the GH and KH are low in that the pH is strongly affected by the IAL. Not saying you need to change it. Just citing a possible cause.

sco...

Trying to change the natural acidity or alkalinity of your tap water is never a good idea. You'll never be able to maintain it for long. If you know the source of the problem, remove it. It's best to use your tap water as it is and simply use an additive that removes the toxic chemicals like chlorine and chloramine. The vast majority of fish you get at the local pet store will be fine in the vast majority of public water supplies. Just remove and replace most of the tank water every few days to remove dissolved fish waste and you'll guarantee your fish and plants a steady and safe water chemistry and you'll have no tank problems.

B

^^^^If you read carefully, the OP is not trying to alter the pH.
IAL and oak leaves are popular with shrimp and SA species breeders for their water conditioning properties.

Hi All,

I recently added IAL to my tank for my Kuhli Loaches, neon tetras and Bristlenose Pleco to provide extra cover and create 'darker' water in the hope of replicating their natural environment as much as possible.

Unfortunately, since adding the leaves my ph levels have been dropping all the way down to 6.0 before i perform a water change to counteract this. My tap water is 6.8..

Has anyone had these issues before or have any recommendations as to what i should do next?

I'm starting to think that all the benefits of the IAL are being outweighed by this ph issue..

Thanks

How often are you having to do water changes due to this? As above on kh and would think it worthwhile to get kh tested to see how soft your water is. Also unfortunately I'd suspect the bn catfish will outgrow the tank. A female might be ok, males in mine are about 3 inches or 7cms.

Edit - 12cm (he just popped out to be measured).

Last edited:
Thanks all, ill test the hardness today and see where it's sitting at. Yeah my pleco is only a juvenile now so only an inch long but ill keep an eye on it. Once again I listened to the lfs before consulting you guys which was a big mistake haha. My tank is much longer than it is high - 60cm L 27cm H 27cm D. Do you think that will be ok for the pleco? (Fingers crossed its a female!)

sco...

Trying to change the natural acidity or alkalinity of your tap water is never a good idea. You'll never be able to maintain it for long. If you know the source of the problem, remove it. It's best to use your tap water as it is and simply use an additive that removes the toxic chemicals like chlorine and chloramine. The vast majority of fish you get at the local pet store will be fine in the vast majority of public water supplies. Just remove and replace most of the tank water every few days to remove dissolved fish waste and you'll guarantee your fish and plants a steady and safe water chemistry and you'll have no tank problems.

B

Hi Bbradbury,

I added the leaves to provide extra cover and to try to create a bit more of a 'blackwater' effect to replicate their natural habitat.

I use seachem prime and api stress zyme for my water conditioner during water changes.

I will continue to perform pwc as you recommended until the Effect of the IAL dies down (hopefully!)

How often are you having to do water changes due to this? As above on kh and would think it worthwhile to get kh tested to see how soft your water is. Also unfortunately I'd suspect the bn catfish will outgrow the tank. A female might be ok, males in mine are about 3 inches or 7cms.

Edit - 12cm (he just popped out to be measured).

Just tested the hardness level and gh is fine but kh is extremely low! What recommendations do you have to naturally boost this up?

Just tested the hardness level and gh is fine but kh is extremely low! What recommendations do you have to naturally boost this up?

What sort of readings are you getting for all test kits for tank water and tap water?

Crushed coral (calcium carbonate) or baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) will lift kh. Not a lot of baking soda would be needed. Crushed coral would be the better as a slower reaction.

But if you can just do water changes with less leaves that's more easier. A larger bioload will also consume kh.

My tap water here varies but kh is about 6 or so. I find a 30% change weekly is enough (tried biweekly but kh dropped).

What sort of readings are you getting for all test kits for tank water and tap water?

Crushed coral (calcium carbonate) or baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) will lift kh. Not a lot of baking soda would be needed. Crushed coral would be the better as a slower reaction.

But if you can just do water changes with less leaves that's more easier. A larger bioload will also consume kh.

My tap water here varies but kh is about 6 or so. I find a 30% change weekly is enough (tried biweekly but kh dropped).

My tap water is barely 1 kh which might explain the low levels. Added crushed coral to the substrate today and added a slow release aquasonic kh-up tablet to the water which is supposed to boost kh by 20ppm over a 24 hr period. Hopefully by tomorrow the tank will be sitting at ~2kh instead of 0 that it is sitting at now!

Gh is sitting at 6 which is fine.

Ph has risen to 6.8 since adding the coral and a pwc (i didnt mean for it to rise that quick from ~6.0!) but will continue to monitor.

My tap water is barely 1 kh which might explain the low levels. Added crushed coral to the substrate today and added a slow release aquasonic kh-up tablet to the water which is supposed to boost kh by 20ppm over a 24 hr period. Hopefully by tomorrow the tank will be sitting at ~2kh instead of 0 that it is sitting at now!

Gh is sitting at 6 which is fine.

Ph has risen to 6.8 since adding the coral and a pwc (i didnt mean for it to rise that quick from ~6.0!) but will continue to monitor.

Sounds like you know what you are doing. Just experiment in small doses. As you mention at 1kh you can easily get large swings in ph as just a small amount of buffer is added / taken away so I'd just try for tweaks, let it settle, adjust again.

I guess as well it would be worth thinking what you want to aim for. Some members like to adjust and test water to where they want it, others use the water.

I was under the impression that a p.h. Of 6 would be fine for most South American species? Due to their natural habitat having very soft and acidic water? Am I wrong in thinking that then?

I was under the impression that a p.h. Of 6 would be fine for most South American species? Due to their natural habitat having very soft and acidic water? Am I wrong in thinking that then?

Yeah sorry it wasn't so much the ph level i was worried about but the big ph swings i was having. My Kh was at 0 so there was no buffering. Raised it to 5 dkh over a week and ph is now sitting steady at 7.4 which is slightly higher than I wanted but still within a good range for my community tank.

Back
Top Bottom