Red Eyed Tetra Profile.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skys54

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Common name: Red Eyed Tetra

Scientific name: Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae

Approximate adult length: 7cm

Adult colouring: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405815376.058112.jpg

Temp: 25-28C (not sure what that is in F)

Minimum tank size: 10gallon,

Feeding: flake, live, frozen foods

Behaviour:
Should be kept in groups of 2+.
Be careful with with this species as they can be aggressive as they are known fin nippers, if you keep them in larger schools you can reduce this behaviour.
A ten gallon tank should be your smallest tank to keep them in because they are very active and fast swimming fish and need quite a if it of room to move.

Good fish to keep them with:
Any other tetra species but be careful with the black skirt tetras because they might get harassed for the fins.
Most livebearers stay away from guppies because of the fin nipping tendencies for the Red eye.
Angel fish are good if introduced early.

Fish to keep away from:
The red eyed tetra can be kept with most fish, just keep away from fish with long fins and soft temperaments, so bettas, black skirt tetra, guppies and the likes should be kept separate.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My red eyed tetras are the most aggressive in the tank second to the angel fish. Not only are they aggressive towards other fish they are aggressive towards each other... They as a team have killed several of my fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom