Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aaaaahhh!! Black brush algea

Dang I hate this crap!!!! I also have some string green algea. I need help. It hasn't taken over yet.

I done some reading and I don't know if I need to increase dosing or decrease dosing of excel? I'm confused.

I have a 55 gallon. With finnex planted plus. I was running the lights from 9-12 then 3-630. With 6 ml of glute.

I just decreased it to 5 ml glute and decreased the lighting to 6 hrs instead of 6.5.

However then I read to increase glute??? What would u experienced aquarium people do?

Im going to dip my plants and get a Siamese algea eater? Also do oto eat black brush? I read that they don't. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427059148.865108.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	268111

May the force be with you.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not an experienced aquarist but I have had this problem many times before. I have tried all sorts of things but unfortunately the only way I truly got rid of it was by doing a blackout and not feeding the tank. It's quite easy to prevent but I have found once you have it this is the only solution. Speaking solely from experience here.

I did a week long blackout allowing no light into the tank. I covered it with bin bags so literally no light got in. I did not feed the tank once in the week. Then I would for the next month have reduced light hours and reduced food. So the light hours would be half as long and about half as much food as well. The blackout did unfortunately kill a lot of my more delicate plants and killed one of my gouramis. I would not recommend the method but after doing it I didn't have any algae left. It's not great but I found it does the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-22-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Uhh I believe amano shrimp and cherry shrimp do eat BB... I wouldn't get a SAE because they really do like to school and it will take a toll on your stocking capacity. I find it funny you posted this in new acquisitions haha

Anyways, this should help: Public Enemy #1: Black Brush Algae and how to fight it
Old 03-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for you suggestions. A total black out sounds crucial. Wow. I'm sure it would kill some of my plants but it is a consideration. It's not completely out of control yet. Lol any other suggestions?

May the force be with you.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm, get a turkey baster and suck it out. Easier said than done, but I've done it and it helps a lot.

A colony of cherry shrimps and a group of amanos would definitely help (even with the green hair)

Tags
algea, black

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com