Aaaaahhh!! Black brush algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KristaButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
Dang I hate this crap!!!! I also have some string green algea. I need help. It hasn't taken over yet.

I done some reading and I don't know if I need to increase dosing or decrease dosing of excel? I'm confused.

I have a 55 gallon. With finnex planted plus. I was running the lights from 9-12 then 3-630. With 6 ml of glute.

I just decreased it to 5 ml glute and decreased the lighting to 6 hrs instead of 6.5.

However then I read to increase glute??? What would u experienced aquarium people do?

Im going to dip my plants and get a Siamese algea eater? Also do oto eat black brush? I read that they don't. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427059148.865108.jpg

May the force be with you.

I'm not an experienced aquarist but I have had this problem many times before. I have tried all sorts of things but unfortunately the only way I truly got rid of it was by doing a blackout and not feeding the tank. It's quite easy to prevent but I have found once you have it this is the only solution. Speaking solely from experience here.

I did a week long blackout allowing no light into the tank. I covered it with bin bags so literally no light got in. I did not feed the tank once in the week. Then I would for the next month have reduced light hours and reduced food. So the light hours would be half as long and about half as much food as well. The blackout did unfortunately kill a lot of my more delicate plants and killed one of my gouramis. I would not recommend the method but after doing it I didn't have any algae left. It's not great but I found it does the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for you suggestions. A total black out sounds crucial. Wow. I'm sure it would kill some of my plants but it is a consideration. It's not completely out of control yet. Lol any other suggestions?

May the force be with you.

Hmm, get a turkey baster and suck it out. Easier said than done, but I've done it and it helps a lot.

A colony of cherry shrimps and a group of amanos would definitely help (even with the green hair)

Back
Top Bottom