Angelfish abd Betta together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ViPz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks,

I have a male betta, I have read that they can be compatible with angelfish, is this possible?
If so, I want to get an angelfish...
Please advise x

VIPz

Hello there,
I'm newer to the whole fish experience myslef so i m going to tell you what I've read and experienced.

From what I read, angels and bettas and not supposed to be good tank mates due to both having some semi aggression. The male betta may try to fight the angel because of the large fins. Bettas can though get along with community fish so long as they are not fin nippers.

Now truth is I learned this after I put an angel in my tank with my betta. I have a 55 gallon so there is quite a bit of room for the two, and both are very passive fish compared to my supposive non aggressive danios. Both even are usually in the same area as one another and seem to do fine.

I think however I got lucky and I will have to see if my angel fish changes as it matures.

Mumma.of.two said:
What size tank are we talking about? If its the one in your profile it's way too small for an angel fish.

It is the same tank. People said I could only have up to 8 rasbora, but I opted to get a betta to go in there, they all live happily. In the stores they have about a hundred fish in an even smaller tank so I don't get why I can't have at least 10 fish in there. I may get some neon tetras and an angelfish if it's not too big....

Why so hung up on the size issue?

How big is your tank, exactly?

Size of tanks are a huge issue. Every fish requires a particular amount of room to move around and be able to live a proper life. Display tanks at stores, or even holding tanks where you buy fish out of, are nothing to go off of. They are trying to make money, not show a proper habitat (for the most part).

Angel fish can get up to six inches in height I hear.
Also I think most the fish at the petstore are usually housed with the same type, and I wouldn't doubt if they were stressed from the large numbers. Not only that but the majority of those fish are young... they still have growing to do.

ViPz said:
In the stores they have about a hundred fish in an even smaller tank so I don't get why I can't have at least 10 fish in there. I may get some neon tetras and an angelfish if it's not too big....

it's about allowing enough room for your chosen fish to grow to their potential size.

I am new too and even I understand that LFS have so many fish in smaller than needed tanks due to them being sold within 2weeks.

I'm unsure what size your tank is but I'm currently compiling a stock list for my 50gallon. It currently comprises of

2-4 Bolivian Rams
6-8 Penguin Tetras
7 Danios
2 Bristlenose Pleco's

And that's it for my tank.

I just really don't understand how people can't seem to grasp that small fish will grow into bigger fish and some will eventually grow into really big fish.

Angel fish at my LFS are in a display tank showcasing some aquascaping. There is a school of around 8 angels and not one of them is smaller than 5inches. The tank is 4ftx4ftx3ft I don't even know what amount of water is held in a tank that size. None of the fish within that tank are even for sale. It is the owners personal tank.

Jon

I have an angelfish, and he is a beast. I would never think of putting one in a tank that is less then 30 gallons because my guy is big and VERY active. Unless the tank is 30 gallons i wouldnt even consider an angel, they get very big

I have just checked your profile.

You have a 27litre tank and you want to put an angel in there? That's just cruel.

I have a 35litre with 7 Danios and 2 Loaches and it's too much for the tank which is why the danios will be transferred to the 200 litre tank once it's fishless cycle completes.

In the 35litre I have a FLUVAL U2 internal filter that can barely cope with the bio load.
I have to do 50% PWC's every couple of days.

A lot of aquarists recommend that anything under 40litres is either used purely for shrimp or for Nano fish or for a QT tank for medicating etc.

Jon

In the stores they have about a hundred fish in an even smaller tank so I don't get why I can't have at least 10 fish in there.

The tanks at the store are short-term solutions. The stores would go out of business quickly if they had to stock the fish correctly.

Why hung up on size issue? Seriously? If you want a healthy tank with steady parameters and no disease issues, you've got to be hung up on the size issue. Size, compatibililty, bioload..... there are many issues to be considered when stocking a tank.

Doing it with the well-being of the fish in mind is the difference between people who keep fish and people who have fish.....

ViPz said:
It is the same tank. People said I could only have up to 8 rasbora, but I opted to get a betta to go in there, they all live happily. In the stores they have about a hundred fish in an even smaller tank so I don't get why I can't have at least 10 fish in there. I may get some neon tetras and an angelfish if it's not too big....

As said, the fish in the store are there temporarily until sold. It is not a long term thing. 27L is about 7g and IMO is fine for one Betta and the rasboras as long as you don't add any more. More fish = more waste = water conditions going down hill quickly. The swimming space of the fish also needs to be taken into consideration.
FYI a full grown angel can top almost 30cm high. The ones you see in the stores are only babies and will grow quicker than you think.

even if you had a decent sized tank,it would be a bad idea. the angel would kill the betta

I have an angelfish. Not sure how old he is tho. He's about 3in tall and 4in long including his tail. I used to have a betta in with him until about a week ago and they got along perfectly fine. I wonder if it makes a difference if the fish 'grow up' together...?
This all depending on a bigger tank of course. Mine is in a 30g and I feel this is way too small

Back
Top Bottom