aquarium stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahollland92690

Aquarium Advice Activist
so im getting a 26 bow front tank and i need to get a stand, well i also have a 20 gal long tank that needs a stand, that has a reptile in it. if i got a 24 or a 30 gal double aquarium stand: go to web site below....

http://www.petsolutions.com/30-in-Double-Aquarium-Stand+I15933030+C1045.aspx

...do u think the top half would hold the bow front ok?? its ok if it hangs off just a tiny tiny bit, and i could just put my 20 long on the bottom?

im also debating between a metal rod stand and the wooden one (in above URL) ??? kinda leaning towards the wooden one but i dont really like the price but i dont know if the iron/metal stand would be sturdy on carpet...help. lol
metal stand URL:

http://www.petsolutions.com/20L29-Gallon-Metal-Stand+I30100608+C1045.aspx

imo you will need a stand that will support the full base of the tank. If its not fully supported, it could crack, and you would have 26 gallons of water on the floor... you might want to either consider a bowfront stand or a table, somebody on here made a rectangular stand to put their bowfront on and it looked nice...

If you are creative you could go to walmart , target kmart, etc even thrift stores and second hand stores may have these and find some nice tables in the mission style .. this would give you a lower "ledge" or "shelf" to sit the reptile on .. However I am not a fan of 1 stand 2 tanks because if one should break the other could be damaged killing the other tank just as quick ..
A question that I have for you is this what is your style ... Modern , country , eclectic (not sure I spelled that correctly :D) petco has some nice stands but are pricey , tho you could "match " the style ... any way you would do that you would want to be sure that your stand would support the weight of the tank and its equipment ... I have a TV stand that I use and a table that I use for the other the benefit is that the cords are "semi hidden"
it did not cost alot of money and should the tanks go I have quality furniture that I can use on past the tanks .. One suggestion tho is to get plexi glass cut to fit the table to help prevent spills from damaging the surface ... it is expensive but not so much so that is not worth it if it saves your table just once ;) I can guarantee that it will be far more tho :D any table you do decide on tho besure it can handle the weight or reinforce it to make it safe .
one final thought to is this , remember that a gallon of water weighs roughly 8 lbs I tend to figure it even at 10 LBS if you are getting salt water , sand , rock etc will add a bit more at 26 gallons you will want to figure roughly 300 LBS of weight with the equipment , LR , LS etc ... even fresh figure 260 LBS on the safe side ... Plus what ever the reptile tank weighs in full service

i like the modern style, but for some reason my room is decorated in wood ?? lol o well. i just kinda mix n match, i would like something that will hold these two tanks with out costing me a fortune cuz im really broke right now. i mean the wooden stand i posted up top is suppose to hold 2 tanks so i think the weight limit would be ok. and when i ment a "tiny tiny" part hanging over the edge i ment like less than an inch.
but if you know any one that has a tank stand of kinda what im lookin for that would be awsum...im still going to look around a bit..i got two weeks lol

Ok the next question that I have for you what is your absolute budget ... Tax tag and title ?
What stores do you have near you and what distance are you looking to travel to get what you want ?
As I said dont discount the thrift stores and second hand stores ,especially in college towns ... you can find some nice things there for cheep .. I got a tall boy dresser that no one can trace the year it was made other than it is more than 40 years old ... I paid no more than 35 bucks for it , with a few brass nails it was as good as new (so to speak) I had to place the backing panel on I didnt even need new holes :D

ok well i would like to spend as little as possible, i am a college student myself and was recently in between jobs so not a whole lot of funding. i would like to spend under 100$ including s&h if i order it or 100$ plus tax if i go and buy it from a store. i am willing to travel no more than an hour to get what i want. i live near a petco, petland, petsmart, target, (all of cobb parkway/ 41 in the acworth area...if you know where that is in kennesaw, GA) close to anything on barrett parkway. um i am going to check this furniture store near me called discount furniture supposidly everything is real cheap there. but i only have room for something that is 36in long in my room...if i have to i can move my 3 reptile tanks around and corrdinate something else once i have another aquarium stand/ table. but i really need to go look at the deminsions of a 26 gal tank so i know what im looking for in a stand.

Modern tanks are supported along the edges and if that is hanging over your tank will crack. You could lay down a piece of plywood to extend the top to fit your tank. If you are going to do that then you should just make your own. Does not have to be perfect cabinet maker Quility, but as good as you can make it. Jessiecasmarine made a very nice stand in a thread not to long ago. Try and do a search on this site for it.

You could do a book shelf for the reptiles and run the cords down through a hole in the back ... Then you would only need a single shelf table for the tank ... I under stand the broke thing tho ... been there done that and still doing it :D
However ... Look for scratch and dent , or floor models .. Perhaps you could find something at target ,or an IKEA however both of those places will be a bit expensive :(

You could do something along the lines of what thin was saying and go for a DIY type thing ... But you are going to be hard pressed to find anything much under 150 unless you strike gold and search it out ...
If you like the one that you posted at the top you can go for it . It will fit the 26 but dimension wise I do not off the top of my head remember the dimensions of the 26 bow front

i really like the book shelf idea! but those are expensive i will look around and see what i can find. but as the do it yourself, im not mechanic savvy it would prolly break once u droped a feather on it....and i dont have the time to build one...or i would make my boyfriend do it :) but otherwise i guess ill just keep looking around and see if i can find a bookshelf or something good

Meh I have found some at target for under 20 bucks .. Depends on the size of the tanks they have metal racks that are around 70 bucks 4 shelf's and the height is adjustable :D

i just decided to go with the bowfront stand...ill find some where to put my geckos 20g tank.

Try one of the metal stands from target , lowes and wal-mart carry them .. if I remember correctly they are only around 60 bucks ... they are metal ...and adjustable here is a link so you kinda know what I am talking about and what to look for there are some fantastic deals on these ...

Metallic : Storage + Organization : Home : Target
Here is one for under 20
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Keep in mind that target is not the only store to carry these check ebay as well they would be kinda neet as a old unit for your terrariums :D

cool thanks for the idea, i might stop by target tomro :) considering i get my tank on saturday, if not earlier like friday!! :)

I've stopped by yard sales lately looking for furniture that can hold a lot of weight. I actually did buy a coffee table that could handle a 90g for $20, the only problem is it's not that high. So I stuffed it in the garage, either way it was a nice piece of solid wood from the 60's.

Back
Top Bottom