Axolotl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What should I be feeding them? Because everywhere I look it says that everything you can feed them is only good to give them for a few days a week

Earthworms, bloodworms and most accept pellets. As long as you offer a healthy variety you should be good

Lol I'm the same way except the wild type kinda freaks me out. My favorite is the leucistic, a little color and kinda albino haha

I've heard that the darker colours hide more so I don't think I will get one that's darker coloured but I like the kind of speckled ones and the gold and albino ones

I like the speckled ones but I think most varieties are cute. I'd avoid the "glow" ones, I started to see them pop up now and they are pretty but I'm not sure how they create them. I'd go with a leucistic or an albino

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396804630.578087.jpg
I found this on google images and thought it was cute I especially like the albino and speckled ones in here they all look so cute though :)

I know :) it's going to be a hard decision. What size tank are you housing it in?

That's a good size for one but the bright side is if you do upgrade you can have multiples

Might do that one day :) and starting cycling now so how many days should I leave it before I do water change? and how much water should I take out?

If you are cycling the tank empty you won't need to do a water change until the end of the cycle unless it stalls. If you are cycling with the a axolotl you will need to do a water change every time the ammonia gets above .25

You can purchase a freshwater test kit at any fish store. It will have ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You will ends to test each of these to make sure your water is safe.

Think I'm getting a test kit tomorrow for the water so should all levels be at 0/neutral?

Ammonia and nitrite will be 0 when the cycle is complete it should show some nitrates

Keep us updated! I've been wanting one for a while now, but I wanted to hear about someone's experience with them. Post pics too when you get one!

Will do and done an ammonia test today with no axolotl been in tank at all and I have between 0.5-1.0 in the tank already, I've done a water change and have an air stone to try circulate the water and I only changed the water on Sunday and now it's Wednesday? So is there anything I can do to reduce it and any reason why it is high already?

Back
Top Bottom