Axolotl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For your filter try a sponge filter. They are really cheap and they don't give off too flow. That's what I use in my axolotl tank. That ammonia is high! How often are you testing? Lotls are really sensitive to water parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seachem prime will detoxify ammonia and nitrites temporarily until you can get it down to a permanent safe level. Is your tank cycled?

I'm starting cycling now and only tested it today but I've done a water change today and will test it again tomorrow but was hoping to be able to get my axolotl in the next week or so and I put fresh water in on Sunday so was doing a water change today as part of the cycle and I tested the water and it was high have no idea why and I already have a sponge filter in the tank I just don't know what to do

How big of a lotl are you planning on getting? Do you have any fish in your tank already?

I haven't decided yet and no fish in the tank as I just want to have the axolotl in that tank without any fish in it first is there anything that can be done? I use dechlorinator already as well so should that help?

Are you dosing ammonia? What are you using to cycle the tank? And what size tank are you planning on using? I might have missed this all somewhere so I apologize if you are having to repeat anything. If there isn't any fish in the tank now don't worry about water changes. It'll just slow the cycle Down but like I asked I am curious as to how you are cycling it?

I was just going to remove 50% of the water every 3 days and have a sponge filter on all the time washing that in the tank water that I'd taken out is that not right? And don't understand your first question sorry

In a cycle you have to introduce something to produce the ammonia to start the nitrogen cycle. Some people add fish and check their levels every day to make sure they are in acceptable range for the fish. Others do fish less cycling. I have done both. Fish in takes less time but it is stressful on fish and may result in casualties. Check out this article about fish less cycling:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/fishless_cycling.php

So my first question was basically where is the ammonia coming from? Your tap water? Have you tested straight tap water to see what the results are? And if you are planning on getting a baby axolotl you can keep it in a small container which is what I would recommend anyways. When they are so small it's hard to feed them properly. I have a baby right now. I switch it back and forth every day between two containers 100% water changes every day. You could do this while your tank is cycling and until he gets old enough.

If you are still cycling and there are no inhabitants you only need to change water if the cycle stalls. Every water change slows the process. Did you use pure ammonia to start the cycle?

Darn I keep typing up long responses and they don't post. Where is the ammonia coming from? Your tap? You should test the tap water and see what the results are.

There are two kinds of cycling. Fish in and fish less. I have done both but the fish in one is stressful and fish may die. The fish less one requires dosing of pure ammonia to start the nitrogen cycle.

Well if it is coming from tap I would suggest getting something like seachems prime to use during water changes to temporarily detoxify ammonia and nitrites. Have you tested for nitrites yet? And if you get a baby axolotl you can keep it in a small container and switch it back and forth everyday 100% water changes. Which is what I would suggest anyways for one so small since its easier to feed them this way. This is how I do it.

I have kept axolotls for a while. I can try to help you out if you have any other questions. I love these creatures! They are so full of personality.

If your tap has ammonia you may want a filter on it or spring water instead. A cycle must have ammonia to start. I would not put fish in as the axolotl will eat anything they can catch and swallow it. Stick to fish less and use pure ammonia. If you know someone with a tank the media will speed it up.

I already have a freshwater tropical tank could I use anything from that?

You could put some filter media in the cycling tank to help kick start the cycle. You would still need an ammonia source. You could use fish food lol. Takes forever but it works.

Yea if it's cycled add the media to the filter in the other tank it should cycle very quickly

Back
Top Bottom