Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Blue Rams

I was able to get a pair of Blue Rams Sunday. Or what I am hoping is a pair, they are pretty young as of yet. I know they are hard to sex and have heard different things. But what we went off is the blue spots over the black. Which one definitely has more as the other has none. The question I am having is the black stripes on the pelvic fins? They seem to both have them and that is supposedly a trait of female?

*Don't mind the fern that is being eaten by something...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1669.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	147949   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1668.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	147950  

Name:	IMG_1672.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	147951   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1686.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	147952  

Old 01-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's hard to tell so it would be best to buy rams in bulk.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

also, Male Rams have more elongated 2nd through 4th dorsal rays. Using this, the fish in pic #3 would be a female ( unless it's a juv. male). Time will tell. When looking to purchase pairs, try to get the ones with elongated dorsals for your males then look for more rounded fish which will probably be females carrying eggs.

Hope this helps
Old 01-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I seen a guy on YouTube saying he sexed them by the blue spots and pink belly which would be females
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

So that's how I purchased mine 1 male and 3 females if he's correct
Old 01-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot35 View Post
I seen a guy on YouTube saying he sexed them by the blue spots and pink belly which would be females
This is where you need to know if you are buying wild fish or tank raised fish. The tank raised fish can, over time, change their color patterns based on what the breeder chose to breed. You can see this with a lot of tank bred African cichlids. Many females now have eggspots or more eggspots that used to only be seen on males. In nature, the fish chooses the mate that shows the best characteristics( which is usually color, pattern, behavior, etc.) so the color pattern method would be effective if these are wild fish (I know, it's confusing .) This is why I back up my selection with fin structure. It's the same on both wild and tank bred fish.
Fully gravid female rams will have the pink belly and the straight dorsal fin. They will also, when viewed from above, be more rounded in the abdomen then a male will be. The Male should have that "rooster" look when mature.

The other choice is to get a dozen, put them in a tank and let them figure out if they want to be males or females. You just enjoy the ride.

Hope this helps
Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the help guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
It's hard to tell so it would be best to buy rams in bulk.
I only have a 29 gallon tank that is pretty well stocked and not enough room for bulk rams.. Just trying to get lucky with a pair as I don't want to have two males in the same 29G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
also, Male Rams have more elongated 2nd through 4th dorsal rays. Using this, the fish in pic #3 would be a female ( unless it's a juv. male). Time will tell. When looking to purchase pairs, try to get the ones with elongated dorsals for your males then look for more rounded fish which will probably be females carrying eggs.

Hope this helps
They are Juv. fish so it is hard to tell. I cannot get matured fish and highly doubtful I'd ever find a female carrying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot35 View Post
They both have pink-ish bellies but one has more blue spots than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
This is where you need to know if you are buying wild fish or tank raised fish. The tank raised fish can, over time, change their color patterns based on what the breeder chose to breed. You can see this with a lot of tank bred African cichlids. Many females now have eggspots or more eggspots that used to only be seen on males. In nature, the fish chooses the mate that shows the best characteristics( which is usually color, pattern, behavior, etc.) so the color pattern method would be effective if these are wild fish (I know, it's confusing .) This is why I back up my selection with fin structure. It's the same on both wild and tank bred fish.
Fully gravid female rams will have the pink belly and the straight dorsal fin. They will also, when viewed from above, be more rounded in the abdomen then a male will be. The Male should have that "rooster" look when mature.

The other choice is to get a dozen, put them in a tank and let them figure out if they want to be males or females. You just enjoy the ride.

Hope this helps
These are tank raised fish I bought from my LFS (not a chain) and it was very hard to tell when they were in the pet store. One does look more rounded from uptop but their dorsal fins almost look the same.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I took more pictures last night and even got this great video! Would you say this is either two males/two females duking it out or a male and female flirting?
Really hoping for the latter..

The guy at the fish store is ordering more that will come next week and is very nice and has been helping me to get a nice pair. He said if they both turn out to be males I can exchange one for what he hopes to have a female in the next batch.

In the video what I think is the male would be on the left with the non perfect fin and female on the right...
Attached Files
Old 01-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

So the first picture is what I think is the male

Second picture is what I think is the female.

Third picture male left, female right.

Fourth picture male left, female right.

Thanks for any of your help!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1716.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	148319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1727.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	148321  

Name:	IMG_1728.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	148322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1701.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	148323  

Old 01-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Anyone with any help? Or anyone at least want to comment on the cute video?!? LOL I am leaning more towards a pair as it seemed more playful and like the male was wanting attention rather than two males fighting for territory..

PLEASE???

Tags
blue, blue ram, blue rams, rams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com