Cycle question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonnypro

Aquarium Advice Freak
This past Saturday I put my water in my 55g tank. Put the conditioner in then added fish Tuesday night. I have been doing tests every morning and at night. I have 6 fish total t
2 rainbow 2 bala's and 2 dwarf neons. My ph level was very low and one fish had died. I fixed the ph level and I am still doing tests twice a day. Everything is still at 0. I should add that the 2filters 2heaters tank and some decorations are from another tank. Why hasn't any of the levels increased or anything. I feed them once in the morning and once at night. The light stays on for about 12hrs and water temp is consistent at 80. I have not done any water changes or cleaned any gravel. Can anybody chime in and see if I'm doing this right or if there is anything wrong????? Ty.

What test kit are you using?

Since you are using seeded media, if it's the same stock the media is used to, you should be pretty much cycled. If not, please advise.

Bala sharks should be kept in groups of 5 + and will require a 125 gallon tank when mature.

Are you referring to rainbow sharks when you say rainbows? If so, you need to rehome one, as they must be kept separately unless you have a huge tank.

API test kit. And yes they are rainbow sharks. They seem to get along very well. There always together. I did clean all the filters,media and decor. That would kill all the good bacteria right..

Yep, that would kill it, for sure. So basically you're doing a fish in cycle and have to do lots of water changes, daily, to keep these fish healthy.

Well I have had fish in there since Tuesday night so when should I do a water change and how much should I change? Should I clean the gravel?

All the levels are at 0. My ph is 7.5. When should this change. Should I do a50% change when I get some readings.

If I were you, I'd do 50% water changes daily anyway, even with 0's across the board. Essentially, you're starting off from scratch because of the filter cleaning situation.

Without the daily water changes, the existing fish you have will soon find themselves in a toxic environment.

May I ask why you cleaned the filter?

Small amount of bleach. And I rinsed everything out like 6 times.

Not how you cleaned it...... why...... although how's important too. What parts of the filter did you put bleach on? I'm cringing over here.

Filter media should only ever be rinsed off in used tank water, not tap water. And you should only replace it when it's falling apart. Literally.

The person that had the tank before me had saltwater fish and it was discussing. But the filters were just purchased recently.

I just change 10 gallons de chlorine zed it and matched the water temp. I cleaned all the gravel. My ph is still 7.5 and everything else is still zero before and after water change.

My nitrite level is .50ppm this morning. Should I do another water change? Everything else is zero.

My nitrite level is .50ppm this morning. Should I do another water change? Everything else is zero.
Not sure what is going on but if in fact it is .50, a 50% water change is in order. Your bacteria may have survived and converted some ammonia...have you checked you NitrAte level?

So weird. All the levels are zero again. I think it was up because I put food in the tank then did the reading.

Back
Top Bottom