Fantail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trinatrue

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello :) I've just got a beautiful fantail fighting fish. My question is....... Why is he staying near the bit where the water goes through to get filtered? Should I be worried? :-( should I put anything else in with him?

Congrats, I just got a new betta yesterday :)

What size tank is he in? What filter? What else is in the tank? Is it a male? What temp is the tank?

They generally do best alone, sometimes you can try them with shrimp but it's hit or miss whether they'll get along. Bettas don't like a lot of current. Was the tank cycled? He could just be getting used to his new home, if everything is ok (water parameters, temperature, etc) give him some time to get used to things.

I did a lot of research before I got him. I had a red fighter but sadly he died so I wanted to get it right before I got him. I even took a sample of water to be tested. Everything was ok. Hopefully it's him just getting used to his new home. I'll leave him on his own and not get anything that going to annoy him. I might get him a female in a few weeks :) thanks for your advice. It has helped x

I did a lot of research before I got him. I had a red fighter but sadly he died so I wanted to get it right before I got him. I even took a sample of water to be tested. Everything was ok. Hopefully it's him just getting used to his new home. I'll leave him on his own and not get anything that going to annoy him. I might get him a female in a few weeks :) thanks for your advice. It has helped x

Sorry for your loss of the red one. I'm pretty sure since the water was good before you put him in he;s just spooked a bit from the move. My female betta did the same thing when I moved her from a bowl to a tank with space. Now she loves it. Took her 2 days to venture out. How big is the tank? If it's 5 gallons with a HOB filter, IME it won't work. I tried with my crowntail and he was unable to swim. He sure tried, but was getting washed around from the waterfall. So he hid behind the heater until I took him out.

The lady friend you'll be getting him. Will she be in her own tank? If not, chances are high he will kill her. Females can be added to a males tank if she is in breeding condition and displaying signs of being ready, and if he is ready...he would have built a bubble nest.

Thanks for the advice. Fluffy is doing amazing. It's like you said he just need time to settle in. He's like a little dog :) when I come to the tank he comes to say hello and watches me where I move x I love him. I'm going to leave him on his own and not get him a female. I would hate to get attached to her and him kill her :-( I was thinking of putting a couple of cat fish with him. Do u think they would get on?

Thanks for the advice. Fluffy is doing amazing. It's like you said he just need time to settle in. He's like a little dog :) when I come to the tank he comes to say hello and watches me where I move x I love him. I'm going to leave him on his own and not get him a female. I would hate to get attached to her and him kill her :-( I was thinking of putting a couple of cat fish with him. Do u think they would get on?

Aren't bettas awesome! So sociable with us ;) I'm glad he is doing so good! That's great news!

Far as getting him some tank mates...some have success some don't. Like people, bettas have their personalities. We have a very aggressive one and then we have two completely docile ones. The aggressive one flares at EVERYTHING! Pens, christmas decorations, spoons...anything shiny :rolleyes: Anyway, we have him in a community tank with 5 corydoras catfish, 6 glowlight tetras, 7 rummynose tetras and 1 spotted sailfin (a baby still) At first he did try to get the tetras, but they are much to fast for him LOL! So, he soon realized this fact and gave up chasing them. Now he lives peacefullt with everyone...although occasionaly the spotted sailfin will chase him because he gets in her territory. Nothing severe, just a little chase about two inches out of her spot.

The other male I have LOVES corydoras catfish. Right now he's in a betta bowl though because we are setting him up a new tank. But, he schooled with the corydoras. You can see pictures in my profile...I posted a video somewhere too. Not sure where anymore??

My female betta is in a community with Roseline Sharks and a Kribensis. She occcassionally chases a roseline or two, but it's not harmful because again, she can't keep up, just like the male betta and the tetraS.

What kind of catfish were you thinking?

Lol. Your fish sound fun :) i never thought I would enjoy or get so attached to my fish bi get really upset if one dies :-( I was thinking of putting corydoras but not sure which type :)

Lol. Your fish sound fun :) i never thought I would enjoy or get so attached to my fish bi get really upset if one dies :-( I was thinking of putting corydoras but not sure which type :)

Okay...what size tank do you have? Gallons are important but more impostantly is tank dimensions. Oh...and I thought the same thing about not geting attached. Then one of my glass catfish died. I cried my eyes out and was sick to my stomache everytime I passed the QT she was in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom