Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fire Neon Yellow Shrimp & Mexican Dwarf Crayfish!

My 10 gallon invertebrate tank's inhabitants arrived today! 20 Fire Neon Yellow Shrimp and 2 Mexican Dwarf Crayfish to get started

My husband helped me take some pics since my camera kept washing out all the colors...

Video of everyone settling in:

Old 11-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Nice additions! I do want to warn you though, that many people have had their dwarf crays eat shrimp. The crayfish are quite a bit more aggressive, and will probably want the bottom of the tank all to themselves.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Really? Most people I talked to about the crayfish claimed that they kept them in their shrimp breeder tanks with zero problems... In fact the shrimp often hitched rides on the back of the crayfish.

I'll keep an eye on them just to be sure, but so far the crayfish have mostly ignored the shrimp whenever they bump into each other. The shrimp were startled and scooted back a step a couple times, but that was as far as it went.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Awesome little guys! What great finds.
I have heard mixed reviews about shrimp and crays. It seems to work sometimes and not others. Good luck! Hopefully yours is one of the working times.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luananeko View Post
Really? Most people I talked to about the crayfish claimed that they kept them in their shrimp breeder tanks with zero problems... In fact the shrimp often hitched rides on the back of the crayfish.

I'll keep an eye on them just to be sure, but so far the crayfish have mostly ignored the shrimp whenever they bump into each other. The shrimp were startled and scooted back a step a couple times, but that was as far as it went.
Hopefully you have a good experience with them together Do keep an eye out for aggression though. Many people have had shrimp eaten or killed by their crays, so you definitely want to separate them if you suspect anything.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, I'll keep a close eye! Worst comes to worse, I have a second 10g tank plumbed together with the shrimp tank and the 20g long GloTank, so I can always separate the crays down to the second 10g if there's any signs of aggression Currently that tank has just been a plant grow-out tank.

Tags
crayfish, dwarf, dwarf crayfish, fire, fish, neon, ray, rim, shrimp, yellow, yellow shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com