Is my platy pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lewis.jc90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
09759b92d3d98cb728371d2a8d06d01d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I would say yes. Then again, if there is a male in the tank, the females are *always* pregnant. :lol:
Uh oh!!! ??? looks like I'll be selling/giving away fish in the future xxx

My platy had babies 2 months ago. My aquarium person said they can be pregnant for as long as 6 mo. without giving birth. He removed all platys from tank...took them home to start his young dtr with her own tank. Replaced them with male guppies.

fanaticbooks

So, even if I get rid of the two adult males among my platys, I could still be seeing fry for another six months?

Great. :drinking:
I'm not the only one semi-regretting platys then ? xx

.:also drinking:.

So, even if I get rid of the two adult males among my platys, I could still be seeing fry for another six months?

Great. :drinking:

Lol - I think it was a real outlier result but from memory they can store sperm for several pregnancies (someone correct me if wrong), so I guess could get three months of more fry quite readily.

I have read that they store sperm for up to 6 months as well . I keep them and don't mind the fry . Free fish...lol and if you have them in a community tank , for every 1 fry that gets big enough to see 10 or more were probably someone's lunch . The biggest headache is trying to keep up with who is whos or you end up with inbred deformities . Not hard when you only get 4-6 fry at a time to grow out and keep them in multiple tanks .

I wonder why they store sperm like that? Maybe it's for tough times like draughts but ime the males are right up there with rabbits.

Last edited:
I wonder why they store sperm like that? Maybe it's for tough times like draughts but ime the males are right up there with rabbits.

I wonder if, in the wild population, males are born far less frequently than females. This would then be a survival mechanism for when there's a lack of horny frat boys... er... male platys around. :brows:

43ab3951e8fd205c33fd53e1cee3a77d.jpg
are we still thinking pregnant? Xx

When do you think get will be due? I'm moving a week on Tuesday :/ xx

Back
Top Bottom