Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2006, 05:10 AM   #21
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomy
It is very lethargic and his eyes are closed and puffy . What could these sytoms be?
Could be a number of things, including vitamin A deficiency, poor conditions, some irritant, etc

[quote(edit: I checked the water...ammonia was at 2.0 and we just did a pwc yesterday! How did it get so bad?[/quote]

Turtles are muey messy....consider investing in Laguna (or similar) pond canister filter...you will not regret it.

Quote:
Did another pwc just now...ahh the joys of late night water changes. Could that be why his are shut?)
I would certainly see it as a contributing factor, if not the cause, yes.

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:03 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Gloomy
Yikes! a pond filter? Okay...We will look for a bigger better filter, and some vitamins, and hopefully it will be okay. This morning his eyes are still closed...but they dont look so puffy and swollen.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #23
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Start with the better water-quality, and if that shows no improvement on the turtle, some vitimin A might be the next option.

..and yes, a pond filter...turtles create a lot of mess, and that requires more than just an aquarium filter.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

I know nothing about pond filters...but I will look around...my 29 gal can have the one in a turtle tank...whoohoo...upgrades all around....He is more active today but his eyes are still closed. The gall of this turtle to get sick on me! How dare he...I feel like crying he has been through so much.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:39 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
See if you can find some Poly-Vi-Sol:

http://www.meadjohnson.com/professio...cts/visol.html

You can soak the turtle in it, ndd soak it's food in it. I would start with feeding it some highly "vitaminized" food. Vit A deficiency is usually the main reason for eye problems, like Toirtis said.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

We went to a reptile store and asked about vitamins yesterday my boyfriend had read about the baby vitamins and the girl is ordering some for us (either that or something similar)...picking it up today...we also brought the turtle with us...she looked it over...doesn't think its a respiratory infection....but again she isn't a vet. Gonna do the vitamins for now.
There are all these different pond filters....what size/type would you guys recommend?
Old 10-12-2006, 04:13 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

If it was a respiratory infection, he'd be weezing and sneezing, so I agree it's not that.

I am unsure about the pond filters as well. Canister filters may also do the trick. You just want lots and lots of filtration. Fluval is a good brand canister.

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a canister filter right now...a Cascade....(looks pretty much the same as a fluval) Its for a 50 gal aquarium. I've been looking and right now a bigger filter is a little out of my price range....Could I just add on another cheap HOB filter?
Old 10-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

I really like my Fluval 4-plus Internal Filter. It needs changed about once a week, but keeps the water clean enough for me. You could add one of those (really, the more the better). I used to run two internal filters, but got annoyed because the turtles kept knocking it off the side of the glass. If a pond filter is out of your price range, I would thing some other sort of internal filter would be fine. I would not get an HOB, simply because of the water splash. It would drive me crazy. The internal filters are silent.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:17 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cool thanks...Will probably get another canister for now...In January we are going to start purchasing equipment to build a pond...and then get some more turtles. Also have a vet appointment on Monday. If nothing else, maybe the turtle can get a vitamin injection to boost him up a bit. We got eye drops and vitamins today.

Tags
turtle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com