Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

My first 55g tank. Need some pointers.

I have 2 filters 2 heaters and plenty of bubblers. Now I put the water in on Saturday and put in De Chlorineizer. I did a ph test today and it's perfect. I am adding some fish tomorrow to the tank and I know the routine on how to introduce them. I don't know what kind of fish to go with. I know that I am going to put in some bala sharks in the tank. What other fish can I get that will go good with the balas or red tails?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4091749980.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	85146

Old 03-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Before you add any fish please follow this link www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/before-getting-started-check-out-these-resources-154837.html It will take you to some other link that will save you time money and stress.
I link what you did with the tank.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Before you add anything to your tank you need to read about the cycling.

Here is a link to fishless cycling using ammonia.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ing/Page1.html

I am currently doing the above with my 50gallon tank.

The idea is that fish produce waste, wasted food and fish pooh which adds ammonia into your tank. By cycling your tank this creates a beneficial bacteria colony that deal with the ammonia by converting into less harmful chemicals.

Ammonia into Nitrite into Nitrate.

Using a testing kit such as the API FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT you can test for all the chemicals and their quantities in your water.

Once your tank is cycled you can start adding fish. Unless you plan on doing a fish-in cycle. But from your post it doesn't sound like you know about the cycling process.

Next comes your choice of fish.

The Bala shark through research of my own needs a very big tank. I was looking for my own tank but at 50g I only just have a big enough tank. Also Bala sharks aka silver sharks shouldn't be in pairs as they are very territorial. They dislike any fish with a remotely similar shape and they can grow up to 45cm in size

An alternative to a bala shark is another fish called a flying fox.

I suggest you read a lot more information before stocking your tank with fish that are probably going to die.

I am a newbie myself.

Jon
Old 03-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #4

I agree with the above post, cycling does take some time but believe me you will be thankful that you done it, and your fish will be 2 and you will see them thrive in there happy home which in return gives you more enjoyment! Win win situation your tank looks really nice 2, I like what you done with the lights. Good luck
Old 03-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am planning on doing a fish in cycle. I am going to start with some hearty fish. They say feed sparingly and either every day or every other day do a 15% water change. When I do that I will add the de chlorinator to the water before I put it in and try to match the tempature best I can. Does this help. A few of the stuff that was in the aquarium was from another fish tank. Also the filters were from another tank as well. I did clean them out though so that probably defeated the propose. Any other input would be nice. Thanks. Jon.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In order to be responsible and not to harm your fish IMO you need to be able to test the parameters of your water during your fish in cycle.

Get yourself an Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate testing kit.

If you read the links that were provided to you before my link there should be an explanation about fish in cycling.

Good luck.

Jon
Old 03-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I just put the fish in. I kept then in the bag for 45 min then added some tank water. 15 min later I put them In. Now is there anything I should do in the next 11 hrs. I don't want to have new tank syndrome. When should I put food in and when should I do a 15% water change to get rid of the ammonia. ????? Thanks all?!!!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Test (get a decent test kit, the API is middle of the road and good to start with) and water change daily if needed. You want to
Get a good quality Water conditioner Like SeaChem Prime. Petsmart, petco and Amazon sell them.
Now some on the forum will Disagree but you can use a Product like Stability (by SeaChem) it worked for me and sped up my cycle, but I was using Seeded Filter media. Feed sparingly one a day.

My Advice is to go to the article section and read up as much as you can on cycling.
You are going to be busy the next couple months....Good Luck
60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Pton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

So it's been 12 hrs since I put the fish in and I did all the tests and they are all still perfect. Is this a good thing. I fed them a pinch last night and one this morning. When should info a 15% water change??? When can I add new fish. What's the next step. When should I vacume the bottom?? I have 1 dwarf neon 2 rambos and 2 bala. All 2".
Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't add any more fish right now.

Keep testing
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

At some point over the next few days ammonia and or nitrite will rise. When it does you will need to do approx 50% pwc to lower the levels. You need to keep ammonia and nitrite as low as possible during this time.

Jon

Tags
55 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com