My First cichlids :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up my first cichlids today. 1 Yellow Lab and 1 Red Zebra (which likes to chase his reflection lol)
3887636501_939b9983d3.jpg
3888430194_8238e64be3.jpg
3888430156_783d27b69c.jpg

What do ya think?

They're awesome! So happy for you! Finally got fish!

Thank you. Theres been a little chasing but nothing too bad. I'm going to try to get 2 more yellow labs next weekend if I can get around to mowing the yard. The red zebra just follows it around for a while and then it moves away and the zebra gets the idea for a little while, but then he forgets again :bowl:. XD

Awesome. Congrats! I am so excited for you. Great choices and nice looking fish. They are feeling each other out. They will be great together....

Thanks. Can't wait to get some more. I'll try to get some vids up later. They love eating btw.
They do like to eat.. wait till you have several in there... All of mine come swimming up to the front of the tank when i walk close, like theyre expecting food or something. It is so hard not to feed them 10 times a day lol

All 21 of mine can get about 1/2 of their bodies out of the water at feeding time. It looks crazy, they are like little dolphins at seaworld!!

Wow, glad you finally got some more fish. I can't wait for that day.

Egg spots arent a sure thing. Have seen lots of females with them. The only sure way is to vent them. DizzCat has a link that shows how to do this. Maybe PM her and she can send it to you. You will have to catch them and check out by their pooper...LOL

Egg spots arent a sure thing. Have seen lots of females with them. The only sure way is to vent them. DizzCat has a link that shows how to do this. Maybe PM her and she can send it to you. You will have to catch them and check out by their pooper...LOL

lol, I think I'll be okay with guessing. However I read that with the zebras, the females have 0-3 eggspots and males have 4-7 and he has 4. I don't want to hassle with all the venting stuff I already read about it.

Thats the way I am too. I just bought 4 of each and hope for the best. The only way I know what 2 of my acei are is because 2 of them have been holding babies.....LOL

However I read that with the zebras, the females have 0-3 eggspots and males have 4-7 and he has 4..
Not true either. My two grown females have at the least 8 egg spots on their tails! With Red Zebras, most of the time you can tell by shinning a flash light on them. If they have a blue sheen to their fins and body, its most likely a male. Females may have a tiny bit of blue in the fins, but males have it in the body and dorsal fin. Once they are adults you can see the blue all over the male without a flashlight.

Egg spots on males tend to be bigger and darker, but really do not show that way until they reach about 4-5". My Acei male only has two egg spots, and my big females have more than 5. But, his are bigger and darker than theirs. I have noticed that the males spots really don't become very pronounced until they get bigger.

Venting is also hard when the fish is below the 4" mark. I have not been able to tell until mine grew to almost 4".

Turns out my yellow lab is a female (I'm pretty sure, there's no egg spots

Actually your Yellow Lab looks to me like it might be a male. Males have more pronounced black in their fins than females. My big dominant guy didn't get an egg spot on him until he was almost 5". :)

Back
Top Bottom