Neon Danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aprilhas5angels

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Forgive me if this is posted incorrectly. I haven't quite figured out this app. I inherited 2 neon danios & fell in love. I am trying to learn all I can before one gets sick. I have had them about a week. For the life of me I cannot figure out their sex. I cannot get a good overhead picture because tank is too small. I will share the best picture I was able to take.20161231_003501.jpg
Thank you for any help.

apr...

These are probably Glofish. They're hybrids bred from Zebra Danios. Danios are best kept in groups of 8 or more, so they feel comfortable in the tank. Danios are a very hardy species, but very active swimmers and need larger, longer tanks. I keep Rosy Danios in a 55 gallon tank.

Keep their water very clean by changing most of the tank water at least every week. Feed just a little every day and you'll have them for a long time.

B

Typically, the females are slightly larger and have rounder bellies. Hard to say regarding the ones in the pic; they might be to young at this point to tell.

Same care as Zebra Danios. Need swimming room. Prob 20Long min tank size. Can be nippy. Should be in groups. Eat well.

These are egg layers so sexing is by body shape and size. Females grow larger and have a more rounded belly. You keep them in groups, not pairs.
I normally try for multiple females to each male to keep harassment down. They aren't as obsessive as Livebearers.

Thank you for replying. They are Glofish & I inherited them but will be expanding. Just trying to learn. Especially sexes. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom