Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

new 54 gallon corner; Need advise pics.

Hello,
Currently have a 75 gal set up and running with 20 or so fish in it. One of the fish is a African bush (or leaf) fish. I also have 5 danios so there is a time bomb in my tank of when the leaf fish get big enough to eat the minnows. Thinking in advance I have purchased a 54 gallon corner tank (pictured). I actually got it for a steal. Anyway, now that i look at the tank im falling more and more in love with the idea of setting up a saltwater reef tank. I have red through the tutorials and how to's, I have searched the web, and everyone agrees that setting one up is super expensive and difficult for beginners.

For a very brief amount of time im sure my fiancee has agreed to let me have the saltwater setup so long as it doesnt bankrupt us pretty much lol.

I have kept fish for about 6 months now, which i know seems short, but i have kept sliders for 10 years prior to this. Also i pick up on things really fast (HORRID at math though haha) so learning curve or lack of experience should be taken with a grain of salt .
I want to accomplish a tranquil setting that has about 5 or so medium sized fish.

In other words what can i do to get the ball rolling. Like could i just have my filter and heater to start acclimating some live rock? Or like all the websites say do i really just have to jump all the way in and buy all the gear (sump, skimmer, cleaning crew, uv sterilizer ect.). Also with this shape tank if i do do salt should i get it drilled? Can i get it drilled lol?

Help me stock (open to fresh and saltwater options) time is not an issue, i am patient and can slowly set up any system if necessary.
Oh! and also lighting for reefs is very expensive i hear, I included a pic of my light setup, is this setup reef ready?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141031_214602.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	254431   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141031_214653.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	254432  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141031_214633.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	254433   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141031_214637.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	254434  

Old 10-31-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Also, I know nothing about this tank. I got it for 200 which i believe is a steal brand new. Is it a nice tank? It looks like a show tank so i am assuming it sells for over 500. anyone know is pennplax is any good?

Old 11-01-2014, 12:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The spotted ctenopoma isn't likely to eat the danios. I mean, it might get lucky one day but danios tend to be quite maniacal which makes it hard for an ambush predator. They prefer to hit slow moving targets. Too, depends on the species of danio I guess.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_holic View Post
The spotted ctenopoma isn't likely to eat the danios. I mean, it might get lucky one day but danios tend to be quite maniacal which makes it hard for an ambush predator. They prefer to hit slow moving targets. Too, depends on the species of danio I guess.
I have 2 zebra danios and 3 leopard danios. Actually all of my other fish besides the danios are at least 3 inches like gouramis, cory cats, platys, and mollys. I could always find another home for him, he is a beautiful healthy fish. I caught him the other day resting in a bush with a shrimp stuck in his huge mouth looked awesome, except i had to hep him get it out.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've not had any problems at all keeping them with Congo tetras, which would be like giant danios. I still think it would be hard for one to catch zebra danios but it could happen way down the line. But since you only have 2, it's not like you're married to them.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

So, what your saying is, go for the saltwater tank?
Old 11-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wasn't saying anything more than what I said. I'm terrified of saltwater - I spend enough money on the hobby as it is.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok. So anyone have any comments on the tank? or the ability to convert it to saltwater? Or an opinion of what to put in it?

I hear people say they spend a lot on freshwater tanks as well, but i really didn't spend that much in total. so maybe a saltwater tank is doable on a budget as well? I am not looking for a how- to, please dont mistake this, I'm curious about whether my new purchase is any good / want to know if i can or should slowly set up a saltwater tank on a budget.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Found out that lighting is not right for a reef tank. I think it will be difficult to find a t5 system that fits into this odd shaped tank so i may just have to stick with freshwater =(. Stinks i really wanted to give it a try.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

honestly, saltwater is SO much more work. Ive had both and it seems to me that oceans creatures just dont do that well in captivity unless you can go a LOT bigger. Reef tanks seem to be the best and simulate the fish's natural environment. Then you have to mix your water, test salinity, add skimmers and reef food. Then there is the high intensity lighting you need. Its all too much work for me, but if you want to take on the task, they are beautiful tanks if done right. I had 2 for a few years and will stick with freshwater going forward. also, keeping saltwater is much more spendy. A simple clown fish is usually 15-40 bucks for one.

Tags
advise, corner, gallon, pic, pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com