New Fish, Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gill723

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had a stable aquarium for 2-3 years now with a going and coming of fish in and out. I haven't been able to find the right tank mates for my (currently alone) Rainbow Shark (Which is about 3.5in long), and my Angelfish (Which is about 3.5in long, 3-4 in high). It is a 25 gallon tank with many hiding places such as a live java fern, a stack of hollow barrels, a tall hollow rock reaching almost to the top of the water, a trex skull decoration (which is where the rainbow shark hangs), as well as several freestanding decorations. The tank ranges from 78-79.5 degrees depending on time of day and year. It has a large two layer filter and a complete cover lid that is only lifted at feeding time. The angelfish is non-aggressive, I've never seen it chase any of the other tank mates they've had over the years. The rainbow shark was occasionally aggressive towards the smaller fish I've ha, like a tetra but never towards anything bigger other than the pleco. None of the fish have been killed by other fish, they all got tangled in a (now gone) overgrown fern. I'm ready to get more fish within the next month or so, and through my research I've made a few choices. I want to know if anyone here thinks they may cause issues. Note, I may get another java fern. The fish I am planning on getting are: A Dwarf Gourami (I've Previously owned one, it got along fine with the R.S. and the Angel), One or a Pair of German Blue Ram Cichlids, and possibly a school of Kuhli Loaches. Through my research I've seen that all these fish should be compatible, but I wanted to check if anyone here has had any other experiences. I'll be checking the post once a week.

Note, I can send pics of the current fish and setup if need be.

Angelfish will get a bit tall for a 25 gallon tank. I also think your shark will also need more space. You will be overstocked if you add all those other fish.

Thanks! I appreciate the advice and will take it into consideration.

I don't have german rams but do know that the smaller gouramis (pearl, dwarf) get along fine with angel fish, and as long as there are hiding places, no one hurts my Khuli Loaches. 25 gal is a rather small tank, so you will want to limit your fish load.

I have 2 angels and all they do is attach each other. Have tried several ways to get my angels live together including changing the size of tank to bigger and introducing several plants and rocks for one of them to hide but they are in no mood to declare truce. Referred some information guides on their angel fish behaviour https://inlandaquatics.com/angel-fish-care-guide-habitat-appearance-behavior-feeding-information/ but it is had mixed mention on their behavior amongst themselves.

Is seperating them only way??

Back
Top Bottom