New fish in the kids 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacca

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here are the new fish that the kids picked out today for their tank.

1 ADF
6 Red Eyed Tetras
1 Tinfoil barb (who thinks he is a tetra)
1 Ivory snail
1 Black Molly
1 Upside Down Catfish

Attachments

• image-899793972.jpg
    image-899793972.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 133
  • image-1683794190.jpg
    image-1683794190.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 116
  • image-3575029630.jpg
    image-3575029630.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 114
  • image-1255156499.jpg
    image-1255156499.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 124
  • image-4141148526.jpg
    image-4141148526.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 119
Love the fish! I have/had all of those except the tinfoil barb. The molly is pretty tiny and cute. :) I like the dw too. Congrats on your addition!

Your tank looks great. But I am worried you may have some trouble with the Tinfoil barb. The Tinfoil barb is a schooling fish and is best kept in groups of 6 or more. But before you run out and buy your Barb a few buddies, you should know that they will each grow to be about 14" long.
If you have a tank that is big enough to house 6 of these 14" guy's they are wonderful, friendly, active fish. They will eat out of your hand and brush up against your hand/arm when your inside cleaning their tank. Their incredibly shiny silver bodies reflect the colors around them. They are very fast swimmers that can jump out of the tank easily (have a good lid), so a long (72"), narrow tank works best.

absolutangel04 said:
Love the fish! I have/had all of those except the tinfoil barb. The molly is pretty tiny and cute. :) I like the dw too. Congrats on your addition!

Thank you. The driftwood came from the beach in Florida it spans the whole length of the tank.

WendiDell said:
Your tank looks great. But I am worried you may have some trouble with the Tinfoil barb. The Tinfoil barb is a schooling fish and is best kept in groups of 6 or more. But before you run out and buy your Barb a few buddies, you should know that they will each grow to be about 14" long.
If you have a tank that is big enough to house 6 of these 14" guy's they are wonderful, friendly, active fish. They will eat out of your hand and brush up against your hand/arm when your inside cleaning their tank. Their incredibly shiny silver bodies reflect the colors around them. They are very fast swimmers that can jump out of the tank easily (have a good lid), so a long (72"), narrow tank works best.

Thank you. We have kept tinfoil barbs before in this we had 2 for along time they are very active and fun to watch. I told my son that when they got to big we would have to find a new home for them. I have a friend who has a 120 community tank with 3 tinfoil barbs in it I told him when these out grew the 55 I would trade them to him for some of his fish.

Thank you. We have kept tinfoil barbs before in this we had 2 for along time they are very active and fun to watch. I told my son that when they got to big we would have to find a new home for them. I have a friend who has a 120 community tank with 3 tinfoil barbs in it I told him when these out grew the 55 I would trade them to him for some of his fish.

Sounds like a good plan. I've had tinfoil Barbs too, we found them to have a ton of personality, not timid in any way. Enjoy your new additions.

I need to have the kids pick some fish with some color everything they have is silver except for the Molly and the catfish.

I need to have the kids pick some fish with some color everything they have is silver except for the Molly and the catfish.
You can always get a couple more mollies or platys. They are all colorful. But, you certainly have space, so I think your kids could even pick a compatable school. :)

You could get a few German Blue Rams. They are full of color and are one the few Cichlids that will work in a community tank.

Attachments

• German Blue Ram at 6 months.jpg
    German Blue Ram at 6 months.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 178
  • German Blue Ram (1).jpg
    German Blue Ram (1).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 256
Snails come in Black, Blue, Brown and Pink just to name a few for clean up crew you will need more than 1 in a 55 gal

WendiDell said:
You could get a few German Blue Rams. They are full of color and are one the few Cichlids that will work in a community tank.

We have a GBR in the other 55. He is the greatest. I will let them pick something. My daughter was looking through a fish book the other night and said she wanted neon tetras but I don't know about them with the tinfoils. Will probably do more snails everybody really likes the one we have.

We have a GBR in the other 55. He is the greatest. I will let them pick something. My daughter was looking through a fish book the other night and said she wanted neon tetras but I don't know about them with the tinfoils. Will probably do more snails everybody really likes the one we have.

There are some really cool looking snails and they are useful too.

Back
Top Bottom