Quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scarey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got sea monkeys from the store for my kids about 2 months ago. Everything went well... About 10 sea monkeys we're swimming around! Now there is 2 assuming others died or got eaten. But there are 2 left one is about an inch long and the other 1/2 inch long. But my son fed them dumped all the food in there... And now there is green algae EVERYWHERE which I know algae is good for food and oxygen. But it's so so thick. I was wondering if there are any other algae eaters I can add to this tank to help clear the algae up? Everything I find says they are salt water... And all I did was follow directions and put eggs in distilled water and they grew. So I'm guessing I'm looking to grow my tank and just have a tank with algae eaters and algae that is more or less self sustained.

Plus there are these little black worm things growing in the tank for about the last week or so and they seem to not be hurting anything.

Look into nerite snails. They do a good job at cleaning up algea and they don't breed in freshwater. A Siamese Algea Eater is also good. Amano shrimp, Cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp as well. What size tank do you have?

It's just in the tiny store one that comes with the kit ritght now but I'm gonna do something bigger... Maybe like a 2 gallon or 5 gallon. But I just don't want to put it into a bigger tank and have a bug green mess.

That's what those snails and shrimp are for....the bug green mess [emoji16]. I'd go 5 gallon tank in case you want to add something else later.

And snails and the others you mentioned will leave the sea monkeys alone?

The snails will. Not sure if shrimp will eat them though. And I don't believe the Siamese Algea Eater is carnivorous.

Any clue on to what the little black worms could be? They almost look like the little black worms that roll up into the tight little balls.

Hopefully it's not leeches. If you could post a pic that might help identify them.

Screenshot_20180803-151236.jpg

It looks like this aort of this is one I found on the internet.

Yeah the plan is to get rid of it. I honestly never thought anything would ever grow. First time I have actually had a sea monk hatch and grow from one of the store bought kits. Then we honestly kind of forgot about if for like a week... Then my son remembered and went and dumped all of the sea monkey food in there and algae just grew like crazy... I mean it is like a 2 liter tank so it doesn't take much for it to get over run... So gonna get something a little bigger and add some stuff to help keep the algae under control as 2 sea monkeys don't eat that much ..

Back
Top Bottom