Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

We got our dwarf/pygmy catfish today :D

Today is the day we got our catfishes! Originally we just went in to get a 5g tank... but, we wanted to see what kind of dwarf catfish they had/if any so we could go back tomorrow or in the next couple days, and, they had just gotten them in today, so we figured let's get them today since they just got there!

We bought 5 of them, we may go back for another 1-2 of them. Would 7 be ok in a 10g tank with a betta? Or would 6 be better? My other half thinks it would be weird to go back for just one more lol but I think it would be fine.

They are about a half inch long, so tiny. They are labeled c. habrosus, although they may be c. pygmaeus, it is really hard to tell since they are so small and FAST. I think they are habrosus, but, some pics online indicate maybe pygmaeus. Frustrating lol!

They are currently in a 5g tank (temporarily, don't worry!). Originally we were going to put them in the newly cycled 10g and put the betta in the 5, but, I knew they were tiny, didn't realize HOW tiny! We can keep a better eye on them in the 5g.
We figure a 50-75% water change every 3 days. Does that sound good?

We have no cover though, so at the moment the tank is covered in saran-wrap. (Yeah, I know. But we had to do something in case they jump up). The guy working there sold us some food he had, since he didn't have any on the shelf. We may get something different in the future, but for now we have food for them as well.

We had a heck of a time getting them out of the bag... we tried to net them first, no joy. So we decided to dump them in the pitcher we use for water changes... well they briefly were sort of vacuum sealed into the bag. I was so worried about them and scared! Especially for the one in the bottom corner. Then we put the bag in the tank and they all got out and they are fine now.

They're so cute! Now we are responsible for 6 little lives, and we were responsible for just 1 before. I love them already. I just wish I could tell them apart, I want to name them all! I hope they're a little more active tonight when I get home from work. Four of them were hanging out in pairs, one was zipping around the tank. They had a hard day. Got delivered, we took them home, they had to come out of their bag, etc...

They have a filter & heater, and a small purple silk plant and that's it. We may put sand in there with them, we may just leave it bare. I dunno. We thought maybe just 2 weeks quarantine but I hear 4 is best. So far they seem nice and healthy....

Old 09-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to SuomiBetta
Depends on your betta. If he's laid back then I don't see an issue with 6 (provided there's escape routes in case of grouch attacks). I would definitely add some kind of substrate to your quarantine tank. Makes life easier.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 09-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are so fast I don't think he could catch them. We definitely wanted to get a sunk log for them though. There's quite a bit of betta-safe artificial plants in the tank. And a lot of sand.

Life easier for the fishies you mean?

I can see him maybe trying to chase them but it's hard to know until we put them all together. He may just leave them alone. He loves to chase little bits of some old food leftover from cycling when we turn on the bubbler, though, lol!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sand definitely makes life easier for the fishies and you. Holds decor and bacteria in place. And it's soft to lie on for tired fish

Old 09-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

They'll be in there only 2-4 weeks, then they'll go into the very sandy 10g tank. Does that make a difference since it's a short period of time? Maybe we'll get one little bag of sand. That's what we were kind of thinking anyway. This tank isn't cycled so I think changing the water 50%+ every three days is good. What do you think about that?

They were resting on the sealant of the tank after we got them in there... poor guys. They had a hard hard day! Moved around a lot, stuck in the bag, ack!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would get some extra sand for their temporary tank. Poor little things need some cushion under their fins and barbs! And that should be more than enough as to water changes. Do you have a test kit to keep an eye on the water conditions? That should give you a better idea of what the water is doing.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok thanks! Yes I have ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph test kits, API. Probably ammonia test is all that is needed for testing the tank though since the water will be changed so often.

Would it be okay to maybe take some sand out of our cycled 10g? We'll get a new bag too, but I don't want to buy too much since since it is for the temporary home & we have a bit too much in the 10g anyway.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

API is a great brand. I had oto cats and they loved API's algae wafers. And you can keep the 5 gallon as a hospital tank in case of sick fish!

Old 09-23-2014, 09:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well we were going to hang onto it just in case our betta doesn't get along with them and we had to move him... (hoping that doesn't' happen!) and if they all get along, my mother in law was going to get a betta, but it is a good idea to have a hospital tank. We have a small 2g but that's not really good for these little fish. I called 3 places today and only the place we got the fish at had a 5g tank! Since it is custom they said it costs more than a 10! It was $25 and a 10 (with nothing that comes with it) was $15. Oh well. I don't really want to buy another 5g "just in case" but we kind of already had plans for this 5g. Ehh.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

10 gallons is even better as a hospital. But since you're already quarantineing you can wait a little while before getting a hospital. Before your wallet goes to the hospital LOL!

Tags
catfish, dwarf, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com