Website To Purchase Fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
What website do some of you purchase your fish from? I think I'd like to poke around and see what I can find... I seem to get fish with various parasites from Petsmart, etc...
I'm going to look at some nice looking private tropical fish stores around here and see how they look...

It's hard to compare prices like that. Livebearers are generally cheaper in storefronts because they're ridiculously prolific breeders. Online is where you get better deals on most everything but the most common livebearers, tetras, and the like.

I will say, ordering for the first time is a little difficult. It doesn't seem like shipping fish in a small bag of water, via the mail, is a good idea. Once I ordered some for the first time, I realized it's not that bad at all. You typically get healthier fish, you get what you wanted, and you don't have to drive around looking for them. A lot of times, shipping costs turn people away...but when you buy from someone who charges actual shipping costs, it's not that bad. I'd say $8-12 is about the average of what it costs to ship... since a medium flat rate box is only ~$12. You can fit a lot of fish in a medium FRB. Some places QT new arrivals (like HN1/SM linked above) and most offer refunds/replacements on DOA's, usually minus shipping cost (usually make you take a time stamped photo within an hour or two of delivery). I will say, if you order from aquabid, check their feedback... just like ebay or any other site where you get individuals, there are some who don't hold true to their commitments. Feedback is a great way to see how others experiences went, as well as offering your own.

Back
Top Bottom