Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Now I am very new to this side but me and the wife are choosing our fish and building our first Sw tank the fish won't come for months yet until I make all the purchases and cycle the tank but here is what we came up with so far compatible or no?

Blue hippo tang
Yellow tang
2 Royal gramma
Pair Clownfish(maroon)
Porcupine puffer
Possibly 2 other interesting goby

Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

So you must have a 180+ gal tank for all that to fit inside your tank.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You've got a few problems there..... and Terrance is correct about the 180. The Porcupine & Blue Hippo Tang can both reach 1' in length, so they need big tanks.

The Porcupine is generally considered peaceful with other tankmates, but with larger fish.... smaller fish like the clowns, gobies, and even a gramma at 3" can easily become a meal. "Porkies" also need a very specialized diet (read - expensive after a while) to keep their beaks in shape, and are VERY messy eaters...... requires excellent filtration and large, frequent water changes (be prepared to begin ordering bulk salt by freight). Think of these guys as saltwater Oscars.... They're cute & personable, but require some serious long term dedication to your tank.

If your looking at a standard 110 (48"x18"x30"), then the Yellow Tang is out as well.... tank's too short. If it's a 110 long, then you'd be OK.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It is a 110 long 6' I just love the porkies I am as dedicated as it gets but the salt for changes may be terribly expensive so let's say I leave out my favorite fish are the rest ok do I have room for more
Old 02-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

No way thats way too harsh a yellow tang can easily fit in a 75 let alone a 110 and a blue tang is a 125 but the 110 may work but you will need good filtration and good water for him to survive in a 110 because hell already be under some stress and the only fish that looks like a problem is the porky thing because of the reasons stated above but may i suggest a cole tang or sumpthin like that instead of blue tang and also a small school of like 4-5 blue green chromis they look cool and lastly start looking into inverts like just a good 110cuc ex)2 emerald crabs,2 peppermint shrimp,a cleaner shrimp,like 7-8 blue leg hermits,like 6 turbo snails, like 4 sand snails(something like nasarius),and some stars along with any hitchikers---ps for a long time i was looking into getting a 110g but financial issues ruined it so good luck,pss expect to spend over 2,500$ just to set up!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Lol i love spending money I know it will be a load of cash looking into supplies now I have another thread going if anyone wants to help out

"looking to start a fowlr tank"
Old 02-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

With the 110, the porkie & blue hippo are definitely out. Realistically, the Yellow tang should be excluded, as well. They can get upwards of 8" and need plenty of swimming room...... 110 is really pushing it.

Everything else looks good, and you can go with a few more, just keep them in the smaller range. A note on the gobies... make sure you see them being fed & eating at the store before you buy them.

I saw your other FOWLR thread, and about possibly going reef in a few years, so do your stock research carefully.... liveaquaria has a lot of good information regarding fish & reef compatibility.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok so revised list as follows
2 yellowtail damsel
2 clownfish(maroon)
2 purple firefish
2 royal gramma
Along with shrimp, snails ect...

How do you think the bio load will be? I don't want to pack the tank with fish but if I can comfortably fit a couple more I would consider
Old 02-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How about a foxface? They are pretty cool and could be the centerpiece fish.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
How about a foxface? They are pretty cool and could be the centerpiece fish.
That's funny I was just looking at them drooling on liveaquaria thing is I want to go reef in a couple years and it says reef compatible with caution do you have any experience with them in a reef?

Tags
stocking, stocking ideas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com