110g build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishkeeper92 said:
Now that im getting closer to finally stocking this tank im not sure what to put in it.. I have my general idea, a few fish i really want. I feel like i have room for fish but i feel like im going to over stock. Decisions, decisions..

What's your list?

-Pair of clowns
-coral beauty
-Going to try adding a fire angel with the coral beauty and if doesnt work take the fire back
-Purple firefish
-Some kind of smaller tang, either a bristletooth or a yellow eye kole
-I want to try a scooter blenny , but that may be later.
-I really want to try a copperband butterfly, the store i may work at has him eating mysis twice a day but that could change.
-and of course the CUC.

My copperbanded was wild caught. He started eating frozen in a few days. He started at first only picking at the rocks- but now he gets in the great food grab just like the tangs and gets his fair share. Very rarely do I see him picking at the rocks anymore.

I now work at the local pet store and get 25% off all livestock and dry goods. This fish tank is catching second wind and hope to be done soon.

I'm a fan of the Danner Mag pumps. A Mag 7 would probably work out well for you as a return pump. Just make sure to look at the headloss before you buy a return pump.

Gonna look into the mag pumps. Maybe i can find links from that and see customer reviews and such. I have time to research before purchasing.

I like low flow in my sump/return pump. I aim for 2-3x total volume turnover. With a lower flow, my skimmer is much more efficient. I'd probably throttle the mag 7 down, or even go for a mag5.

Im looking at the mag 9.5 instead. I feel 500-550 is to low, with a 9.5 im getting between 900-950gph return. I feel like that is really high. Why cant there be a mag 8.25? Haha

Thats a valid point. I need to look at a new skimmer too so saving money with the 7 instead of 9.5 will be better. How loud is your pump? I have a gen- x pump now and its fairly loud.

I have a mag 9.5 in my 125g tank. I can't hear it at all. It's throttled down a bit though. I probably would have gone with a mag 5 or 7 myself.

Just to note, there's a different between tank circulation flow, and return flow. For a reef, you obviously want a high circulation flow. (20-50x). This is accomplished by powerheads etc.

For a return\sump flow, you're better of with 2-5x IMO/IME.

That makes sense. The pump i have now is crappy and i would like a quieter better pump. From what you tell me the mag's are good so i guess i'll have to try it out and see.

I've been debating this for quite some time, and tonight i decided. Im going to restart my entire tank from step one and take my time with it all. Going to buff out the scratches, scrub it all down, buy equipment upgrades when i can and work on it, my job sells real nice pre-made sumps with options for refuges or not. Fixing up and redoing the stand/ canopy. This will all start later this month hopefully i'll have support and help of my fellow AA people. Going to be a long journey but its worth it for my aquarium.

Fishkeeper92 said:
I've been debating this for quite some time, and tonight i decided. Im going to restart my entire tank from step one and take my time with it all. Going to buff out the scratches, scrub it all down, buy equipment upgrades when i can and work on it, my job sells real nice pre-made sumps with options for refuges or not. Fixing up and redoing the stand/ canopy. This will all start later this month hopefully i'll have support and help of my fellow AA people. Going to be a long journey but its worth it for my aquarium.

Hanging in there with you for the long haul. Looking forward to how it comes out.

This might sound like a strange question but does anyone think it'd be worth it to over feed a little about once a month to make sure my snails and hermits have a little food to pick at? Kind of like a just in case thing.

As far as scratches go I've read they can be buffed out but I don't recall the means to do it, maybe try a google search as google has never failed me. As far as overfeeding goes I don't see an issue as long it's not a regular thing. There are plenty of critters in the live rock that will help too.

Back
Top Bottom