110g build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Getting a pretty clear sign from my tank that somethings wrong. All the live rock i bought has a "mushy" looking algae on it and all the coraline seems to be dying off and some of the base rock now has a fuzzy looking purple algae on it. My tank is only circulated by a power head right now since i have no money to fix those annoying drip leaks :mad: plus other tiny matinence.

Im debating on taking the glass top off my 20 gallon since i dont feel like cleaning it every week or possibly less time. Are damsels known to be jumpers? Mine dont seem to jump but they might be plotting for the lid removal..

Fishkeeper92 said:
I hate to rant and rave but i need someone who understands to hear this. I can not stand when people assume things are just going to "work" in an aquarium. My friend and her husband have a 42 bowfront reef. Its been up maybe a month and its crammed with corals and fish that will out grow it in no time. She "claims" her husband researches it all and i seriously doubt it. Im going to school for marine biology and science, i've dedicated my life and future to this type of stuff. I would literally go crazy if i didnt have a fish tank in my house and they assume that they can just throw stuff together and it'll be perfect.

Sorry about this just HAD to get it off my chest.

Don worry about it. Karma is a.... In time when her corals start to die and her inhabitants do as well... And their pocket book suffers and the tanks is packed up to sell on Craigslist....

They will think back and either say you were right... Or rant about how the hobby is ridiculous. Either way- karma will catch up

Fishkeeper92 said:
Im debating on taking the glass top off my 20 gallon since i dont feel like cleaning it every week or possibly less time. Are damsels known to be jumpers? Mine dont seem to jump but they might be plotting for the lid removal..

Just build a mesh top is you are worried about it

If i had the materials i would or money. Im not to worried since i could just be less lazy and clean the top haha. I just noticed my light got a little dim and how dirty the top was, my little buddies dont seem to mind either way.

Fishkeeper92 said:
If i had the materials i would or money. Im not to worried since i could just be less lazy and clean the top haha. I just noticed my light got a little dim and how dirty the top was, my little buddies dont seem to mind either way.

I have a glass support brace in the middle of my tank and have to scrape it once a week. I know it's time when the middle of the tank starts to look a little greener than the rest. Lol

Thats what i did when it was a fresh water. Now its my mini fowlr and i have diatoms on the lid. It was weird to me since the water was always kept a little lower to try and prevent to much growth.

I searched it up on google but what better place to learn then here at AA. How compatible are damsels with feather dusters and hermits?

Fishkeeper92 said:
I searched it up on google but what better place to learn then here at AA. How compatible are damsels with feather dusters and hermits?

Pretty compatible. I've got 4 damsels with my hermits and feather dusters now.

Sweet. Makes my Reefcleaners purchase seem a little better. My damsels seem friendly though, they get along perfectly with each other, they even act like they'd spawn ( of course i cant tell of they can/will) makes the mean streak sound like a stereotype.

Sadly no. In my situation of no money i havent been able to do anything, but i do plan on rescaping the tank again since im not happy with it, yet again. Hopefully i'll have those pictures up soon.

How good would a 4x54w t5 fixture do for my tank? Theres a possibility of going reef in the future and i want lights that can give me a good start.

Fishkeeper92 said:
How good would a 4x54w t5 fixture do for my tank? Theres a possibility of going reef in the future and i want lights that can give me a good start.

Low light coral such as leathers, zoos, mushrooms and some LPS

Might have to do the double 4 bulb, at that point i could grow pretty much anything. I could use the 4 bulb for good lighting/ coraline growth and when the money comes another 4 bulb and then corals.

Now that im getting closer to finally stocking this tank im not sure what to put in it.. I have my general idea, a few fish i really want. I feel like i have room for fish but i feel like im going to over stock. Decisions, decisions..

Back
Top Bottom