26 gallon fish only plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been doing research and decided I don't want to do a 55 gal FOWLR, I just want to convert my current 26 gal into a fish only tank and make the 55 freshwater

I might eventually make the 26 a FOWLR and maybe a few corals once I get enough cash to buy a fancy light, but for now just fish with fake plants and decor.

What is a good stock that includes a centerpiece fish and maybe a small school if possible and a cleaning crew? I'm a noob with saltwater.

I'd also like to know what kind of filter I would need to run on my tank, I don't want to do a sump.

Thanks for everything!

So you are wanting to do a salt water tank with no live rock? It's not a common set up but it can be done. Live rock provides most of the tanks filtration. I run a 55g with no other mechanical filtration, just plenty of live rock, two power heads and a skimmer, no sump, regular water changes (which you would need to do anyway) so I guess that would be my advise, and decorations never look as good as growing organisms like corals :)

Oh and you don't need a fancy light for having live rock either so could keep the stock light you have until you are ready for corals :)

Oh and you don't need a fancy light for having live rock either so could keep the stock light you have until you are ready for corals :)

Maybe ill do a few pounds of live rock then, but I'm most concerned about what type of filter Im gonna need. Would you know any good ones for my size tank.

Again, I don't use a filter at all so can't recommend any I am afraid. You will need at least one power head for water movement and you could look into a skimmer, again not necessary but useful.

Again, I don't use a filter at all so can't recommend any I am afraid. You will need at least one power head for water movement and you could look into a skimmer, again not necessary but useful.

So I wouldn't need a filter if I get the love rock? All id need is a power head and a skimmer ?

For fish ideas, go to places like liveaquaria.com , bluezoo aquatics.com and so on. Liveaquaria tends to suggest larger tank sizes than some of the others. I tend to like the idea of giving fish at least what they suggest. Other sites go too small at times, which can create stress. Stressed fish are not good.

You could probably use a HOB filter, but a skimmer and live rock should do the trick. The skimmer is kind of a filter, just not like your typical FW kind.

Back
Top Bottom