29 gallong tank, Dwarf Lion Fish! (FOWLR, Build Thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Because they can be punks. But true Percs are pretty aggressive. And hawkfish are very good at holding their own and finding ways out of trouble.

Ok, well I guess I will go with my original plan. Six Lines are easy enough to get. The True P Clowns are hard to find. LoL

Yeah, but I will get the True!! I am having two stores order them, so one has to get them. LoL

That is why I am doing all this the right way this time. Cycling my tank before fish, and making sure my water is perfect. I am not using my own water, but fish store water. That way I know it's good to go.

The last freshwater tank I had, I nuked. So I have been studying for months even before I got the tank. That way when I get the hard to find fish ,they won't die on me.

Thanks Khij

I won't have a Anemone for the clowns, but I might get one some day.

A question about anemones. All I got is a single bright marinland LED light. Now I know that is not enough, nor does it put out the blue light it needs. A person at the LFS said that a stripe of blue light they sale for 50 dollars (LED) would put out the blue light needed to support a moderate light anemone such as a Long Tentacle Anemone, and along with my lighting already it would be fine.

I would like for my clowns to have a host anemone, but the light I wanted (the marineland LED Reef lighting system with timer) is to expensive for me right now. In your opinion would a stripe of LED lights be enough? in reality I think I am going to wait until I get a LED lighting system, but thought it might be cool to have an Anemone if I can buy a stripe of LED lights and it works to keep it healthy.

I would never put an anemone under any Marineland LED fixture or under the blue LED strip from the store. The guys at the shop are giving you very lousy advice. You need strong lights for am anemone and nothing from Marineland will suffice. Even if it did you may want to wait months before adding on. Personally, I prefer to use corals to host them. Far to many anemones die in our tanks or even just on their way to the fish shop.

Wait until all your fish are in the tank for a few months and everything is stable. Make sure you have enough light for light needy animals by growing an aquacultured coral or two, then try an anemone if you need one. They aren't cheap and they're not throw away animals. Go slow, get very strong lights and consider the fact that most of them die.

OMG, I THINK I AM READY!! :p

Don't worry, I am not going to buy the anemone. :p I was going to wait until I upgraded my tank for reef lights..

Hey guys, please look at my pics and tell me what you guys think. It looks like it's ready for it's first fish.

Should I get one tonight if I can?

From my test it looks like

Nitrites = 0
Ammonia = 0
PH = 8.4
Nitrates = 5.0

That is what I got. I am asking to see if you guys concur, because I might be jumping the gun because I want fish. :p

Attachments

• IMG_6215.jpg
    IMG_6215.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6500.jpg
    IMG_6500.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3159.jpg
    IMG_3159.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3543.jpg
    IMG_3543.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 72
Do like a 5 gal water change. Then check parameters again just to make sure. Then add that fish and post tons of pics!!!!

Did the change, and every thing looks the same as the last set of pictures. So, I guess that means I am good?

Called every darn store near where I live, they don't have a Six Line Wrasse. Had a ton of them every time I went in to look, now that I want one they DON'T HAVE THEM. LoL

So I am going back to the Reef tomorrow to pick up a Six Line Wrasse that they have. I live an hour and half away. :-/ Compared to 30 mins away from every other store. Aww well. :p

My trip to the fish store was not so fun.

No store within a 200 mile radius has a Six Line Wrasse. They won't have any of them for another two weeks due to their fish order and Christmas. The store I went too that said they had one was wrong because it was a new girl that told me they had one. UGH!

So here is my problem. I had my two true percula clownfish ordered, they were suppose to be here next Friday. They are now going to be here this friday. :-/ It looks like the first fish that is going in our my Clowns. I have read many things online and I am not worried about them harassing my wrasse. As much as I wanted the wrasse first, I am going to put the clowns in. I am never going to have fish in my tank. :p Drove 75 miles to be told that they didn't have the wrasse. :p

Now the store that said they had the wrasse is the store I placed an order for my true perculas. On a bright note because of the mix up and for me driving all the way out there, they are going to give me the fish for 10% off and I have a 15 dollar credit. So that helps a little. :p

That's reduculas! No one should work at a lfs if they can't even tell you what a 6line wrasse is. I work at a lfs and don't know quite a bit of stuff but common stuff should be a requirement before starting work.

That's reduculas! No one should work at a lfs if they can't even tell you what a 6line wrasse is. I work at a lfs and don't know quite a bit of stuff but common stuff should be a requirement before starting work.

You would think right. :p

It was an honest mistake, the young girl is apart of the family business. She was very young and the store is a family owned place. She may not have been fully prepared and should have asked her parents. Yeah, she was that young and just really starting out working there to help out. So like I said honest mistake.

They got so many fishes freshwater and Saltwater that she could have easily not know even if her family is in that business. It's still a trustworthy store and the advice I had gotten there is top notch and everything lines up to articles written here. This is all that they do! They sale nothing but aquariums and fish.

They even made sure that I was cycling my tank before I put fish in. They also told me to upgrade to a Sump later on and showed me how I can do it without drilling. It's a hang on the back overflow (which they said is not the best, but will work for my tank, until I upgrade to a bigger tank and get a pre-drilled tank). So I am not upset. At least they are going to give me a discount on the fish and I got a credit. So Friday is the new date. :p I will someday have a fish!! Well if the world does not end on friday. :D

Yeah, I figured since I drove all that way I was going to get some useful information. :p

The pet shop had these guys for sale. 100 bucks each. I was tempted. :p

platinum%20white%20clownfish%201.png

The ones they had, had a little more orange on the face and tail. The white was mostly in the middle of their bodies. this picture was the closest I could find.

I would post this in the Identification threads, but I figured why start another thread when I already got this one going about my main tank.

I don't have a picture as this thing is tiny, but it looks like a small tube with tentacles. The tube is white and the tentacles are white. It's on my rock on the very bottom of the rock next to the sand bed. It's really small and I will try to get a picture. If I had to compare it looks like this.
tube_dwelling_anemone_sm.jpg

But it's really tiny, and almost clear looking.

Fish at last!

Hey guys, I got my fish finally!! Everything seems to check out on my tank. Doing the whole drip thing for about a half hour now. Another hour to go for them.

My only concern. Do they look like True Perculas to you guys?
They don't have three bands nor do they have any type of bands on their tails. Is this because they are young? Or was I had at the pet store? I like their look so whatever they are I am stuck with.:fish2:

I would be upset if they sold something else to me. Besides that they look healthy and they are already eating. I have gave them a little food while they acclimate.:thanks:

Poor little guys in the bag. :p They can't wait to get into their new home. More pics will be coming within an hour.

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3272.jpg
    IMG_3272.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1354.jpg
    IMG_1354.jpg