300G FOWLR - Lighting for Soft Corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themangia1984

Aquarium Advice Regular
300G FOWLR - Lighting for Soft Corals? - Pics of the tank too!!!

Hello,

I am new to this website and stumbled across it while web surfing and it is by far the best forum for aquarium and fish talk. I currently have a Marine Land 300 Gallon Deep Dimension Corner Flow Aquarium, the dimensions are 72" x 36" x 27" . It currently is a FOWLR setup. When I first started in this addictive hobby several years ago with a 90 Gallon, I had no intention on ever considering corals. I upgraded to the 300 to provide my fish a higher quality of living. Recently, the last couple of visits to the LFS has made me consider soft corals. I currently have a Coralife Lunar Aqualight Compant Fluorscent Fixture, 4x96 watt, 72 inch system for lighting that contains 2 96 watt actinic 2 96 watt 10K's and lunar lights all hooked up to a timer. I was wondering if I needed to add or upgrade my lighting system for softs such as starburst polyps, zenia, mushrooms etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!!! :D

I think you would be ok with just Star Polyps, Zenia, Mushrooms etc.. Maybe a frogspawn or something. But considering its a 300gallon deep display you would have to keep them as close to the top as possible I would think like within 12 inches of the surface.

I am buying more live rock by the week. I currently have about 220lbs. I am waiting until I have all the rock I need to do the final aquascape and add more fish. I was thinking of two mounds on each side of the tank and leaving the middle open for swimming and viewing pleasure. I can then place the corals near the tops of each respective mound. Any ideas on aquascaping such a big tank is always welcomed. Thanks!!!

Welcome to AA! In order for everyone to like you, you have to do one thing. PICTURES!!! lol. If you can it would be great to show us some pictures of your setup. That should not be too bad for those low light corals, if anything you could put them higher up on the rocks to make sure they get some good lighting.

I will be putting up pictures shortly. Currently I only have a snowflake eel, sharpnose blue spotted puffer and my friends green bird which im housing due to him having too small a tank. The green bird will be taken out once I am done re aquascaping the tank and adding more fish since he loves to bully new comers (hes greedy and enjoys the 300 gallons all to himself!!!:p)...if my friend doesnt get a big enough tank I may have to house the green bird at my LFS and re introduce him once all of my additions have made it.

Picture One - The old 90 and the new300
Picture Two - From the Side
Picture Three - From the Front
Picture Four - Some more from the Front

Attachments

• AA Posting Pictures 002.jpg
    AA Posting Pictures 002.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 182
  • AA Posting Pictures 003.jpg
    AA Posting Pictures 003.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 140
  • AA Posting Pictures 005.jpg
    AA Posting Pictures 005.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 191
  • AA Posting Pictures 007.jpg
    AA Posting Pictures 007.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 135
Picture One - The "Greed Bird"...I mean Green Bird - His name is Bilow (The brothers name fron the movie Borat).
Picture Two - The Sharpnose Puffer - His name is Coolio - He is my first fish ever.
Picture Three - The Snowflake Eel - His name is Lloyd Christmas (Dumb and Dumber).
Picture Four - The Sump.

Attachments

• AA Posting Pictures 011.jpg
    AA Posting Pictures 011.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 154
  • AA Posting Pictures 012.jpg
    AA Posting Pictures 012.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 124
  • AA Posting Pictures 016.jpg
    AA Posting Pictures 016.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 137
  • AA Posting Pictures 017.jpg
    AA Posting Pictures 017.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 174
With regards to the soft corals, are the hours that the lights need to be on any different than that of the fish? I currently have my lights turn on around 4 and shutdown at 9...I do this due to the natural lighting in my living room...the tank is not directly by windows but the living room does get a decent amount of light. Also, should i have the actinics on an hour or two before and after the 10ks are on? Currently I have them on a timer to turn on with the 10ks and shut off at the same time.

Most people have their lights on for about 8-10 hours a day for corals. Some more some less depending on their specific situation and corals.

Imo, I would go with some nice T5's and you should be fine. You can build a nice T5 fixture DIY for a reasonable price and expand your options.

Back
Top Bottom