Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just trying to give the OP some good advice, I have only been doing this a couple of years but I was thankful that some expert reefers gave me some good advice when I started and making sure your water quality is the best it can be is the most important aspect of this hobby. I have never heard of anyone keeping a successful reef tank long term using tap.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:47 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
Just trying to give the OP some good advice, I have only been doing this a couple of years but I was thankful that some expert reefers gave me some good advice when I started and making sure your water quality is the best it can be is the most important aspect of this hobby. I have never heard of anyone keeping a successful reef tank long term using tap.
I second that

Old 05-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Quote:
I would avoid tap water if you at looking at inverts. We all know copper can kill them and I am guessing your water flows through copper to get to your tap. This may be a very low concentration, but over time with top offs this can build up. I started off with tap thinking everyone was just being perfectionists, after a few months I made the switch to ro and my maintenance has gotten simpler. I am going to order an rodi unit soon to simplify my water changes and avoid my biweekly trip to the LFS for water (that is when you see stuff you have to have, it gets pricy). Anyway, my point is, it will be better for your inverts any your tank will look better.

It is worth it to me, I do a 3 gallon water change every other week on my 29 and keep 2 gallons for top off for the 2 weeks. Not a big hassle and it seems to be a big reward.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I do a 20 gallon change every week on my 200 & a 10 on my 54. I have an ro unit and makes things so easy
Old 05-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I agree that tap water isn't the best, but it really varies from source to source. One guy might have a successful reef using nothing but tap, and 1 town over another guy might not be able to keep anything alive with the same practice.
Better safe than sorry is what I say.
As for the live rock cost- just use dry rock. Bulk Reef Supply or Marco Rocks or one of those online guys will send you dry rock pretty cheap. It will become live in just a short time.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

i too was a freshwater guy until 3 months ago i happen to get a free 20g long tank to try out a nano reef, best thing to do before setting it up is research everything. i started with tap until i found a lfs that sold ro and salt water cheap and couldnt be happier. i do biweekly water changes, i also dont run a sump and found my water perimeters are good as long as i keep up with my changes. i will say that i am already looking to go with a bigger tank lol. getting a free 50g tank today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com