Advice on a Purple Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimbo7

Aquarium Advice Addict
For quite some time me and my brother have been wanting a Purple Tang for our 90 gallon reef. From what live aquaria says that isn't enough room for him but other sites claim differently. I have seen that they could be fine in a 75 and my LFS has even kept one in their 65 gallon reef sytem for over 5 years.
So i was wondering what really makes a habitat for them, because it seems that the tank size can be a bit flexible. Also, if i already have a yellow tang would they fight? i read that they are both pretty docile as far as tangs go, maybe just find a smaller purple then my yellow? I'm not looking to rush into this and wanted to get your guys advice because the last thing i want to do is endanger either fish.

Tangs need lots of swimming space and a purple wouldn't play nice with other Zebrasoms.

What Scott said :( I think my tangs are too confined in a 6' long tank. I wish I could add 10' to the length so they could make a real run at it.

Tangs will fight with each other regardless of Genus, no more and no less. You should be fine in adding the purple tang, depending on other livestock, but they will jostle even when territories are established. If you do not want to see disputes between tangs then I would not purchase any other.

I have three of them and as James said A tang is a tang. I have a yellow, Scopas and a Yellow eyed Kole and they are always jostling for position. No one has killed anybody or even injured the other but they do as I said jostle for position.

It will alleviate initial aggression because they will be searching for territory and not defending against each other right off the bat; however, once territories are established they will bicker...it's what they do best ;)

I keep eight Atlantic Blue Tangs (Acanthurus coeruleus) in an 8x4 tank. The tank was designed for tangs, thus there's 32-feet of linear swimming room as the reef is in the center and is flow through. Only squabbling they ever do is over fresh macro-algae, and in that it's more pushing and shoving to get to the food; not any real hassle between them.

Dave

I keep eight Atlantic Blue Tangs (Acanthurus coeruleus) in an 8x4 tank. The tank was designed for tangs, thus there's 32-feet of linear swimming room as the reef is in the center and is flow through. Only squabbling they ever do is over fresh macro-algae, and in that it's more pushing and shoving to get to the food; not any real hassle between them.

Dave
Let's see some pics Dave :) What size tank is that? Around 700g?

Back
Top Bottom