Aggressive Firefish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lagger

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im trying to gauge personal experience here. Here's the scenario;

20 gal tank, one purple firefish (2"), two o. clowns (1"), one cherub angel (new-1 1/2"). The purple firefish and clowns have been together for 4 months now and Im just starting to notice the firefish become very territorial. He chills in the front of the tank by his rock opening where he hides. It seems whenever the clowns come to the front of the tank, say within 5 inches, he goes after them! Poor little guys, they're still juvies and he's full grown. The problem is, he starting to protect more and more tank area! He's going out of his way to punish the poor clowns. He's being a real a$$.....The angel swims right next to him and he doesn't seem to mind.

Is it the clowns small size that make them vunerable? I thought firefish were supposed to be community fish?

4 fish, with a good sized angel in a 20g is bad news. The firefish probably feels like he has no room. When those clowns get larger you might have problems too. I would definatly find that angel a new home and consider changing out the firefish to a bottom dweller like a goby instead. A royal gramma would be a nice option as well.

Ahhh, the solution to all of life's problems......get a bigger tank! Preachin to the chior my man. Although it seems like anyone on this board with a 20 is overstocked :lol:

Anyways, the firefish does hang around the bottom of the tank. The angel isn't really "good sized" yet, but probably will be around the same time the clowns mature. And part of my decision to get an angel instead of a royal gramma is that basslets tend to be more territorial than angels.

Sooo......I'll have at least a 60 gal sometime soon, but I'm still left wondering if anybody has had an aggresive firefish? It has it's own cave for refuge and it's been hanging with the clowns for a while and hasn't exhibited this kind of behavior until recently. I guess it could be a space issue, but Im not convinced yet that it is.

Thanks

it is also getting older and more mature....territorial issues get worse as a fish gets older.

well.. you can plan a smaller tank.. and plan a good stocking arangement for it.

If you want certian fish.. its probibly best to plan ahead and get the approprate tank to house those fish on a long term basis..

belive it or not.. some people plan to have a nano and stick to it.. :p

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it's just getting old and grouchy....hmmm

I wonder if anybody with a nano has had problems? I know most use a firefish almost all of the time.

Brenden said:
I have 3 firefish in my tank (2 purple 1 red) and I have never seen them be aggressive to anyone.

The fact that you have a 525g tank Brenden is the reason I'm sure. Much less chance for territorial issues.

Unfortunately, I was afraid you were going to do that. I was hoping you had some enlightening information on female firefish. Seeing as you don't I will ask you to not make comments like that regarding women...thanks!

Since you put it that way...When I made the statement I was thinking about how aggressive female clowns are towards other fish. Specifically my cinnamon clown. I also read a article recently about betta fish. Oddly enough they found that a lot of the females were more aggressive than the males? I had researched before and found no way to tell female firefish from males so it was just a speculation..

I will ask you to not make comments like that regarding women
I said nothing about women! I do not regard a female and a women as the same thing. Female is a gender. Women is strictly of the human species. ie. female dog, fish whatever. Do you say female human? You brought women into it.

Back
Top Bottom