algea everywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gerry99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i am new to salt water tanks,i have a 80 gallon with about 130 lbs of live rock maybe more,1 anenome,2 clown fish,1 banded shimp,1peppermint shrimp,and a lobster, i got the rock and livestock from someone else,he had algea in his tank,but now in my tank it seems to be growing fast alot of the snails he gave me died during transport. there is alot of green algea,purple algea,and i have aptasia everywhere, what can i do to get rid of some of the algea and aptasia. i have 2 power heads and a ehiem 2217 filter.
thanks gerry99

How long has the tank been setup? What source water do you use? What is your lighting period and fixture? How much and how often do you feed? For aiptasia, you'll want to spot treat them with a kalkwasser based solution (DIY, Joe's Juice, etc.).

i took half of the water from the guy i got my rock and livestock from,it has been setup for about a week there was some red and green algea,and aptasia but now theres alot for now i only have regular aqua glo lights but i will get some t5's next week light go on at 9am of at 9 pm but there not strong lights

What source water do you use other than the half that you transferred?

it was tap water but i put a treatment in it that was in the tank for 2 days before everything else went in

i have aptasia everywhere is it very bad and what could it do

Ok. Tap water (I assume mixed with a salt mix) will contribute to algae problems in most cases. RO/DI whether purchased from the grocery store, LFS, or made at home using an RO/DI unit may help a lot.

what is ro/di and lfs sorry but im new to salt water lol

No problem. RO/DI is reverse osmosis / deionized water. Pure water. LFS = local fish store.

The links Mike provided are must reads IMO.

thanks alot guys so should i start doing some water changes right away and also how bad is aptasia and what could it do

Water changes are a good start if you use good water to replace. Aiptasia just spreads if unchecked.

Back
Top Bottom