Any ideas to get rid of algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronin33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a new tank w brown algae growing on my LR and sides of the tank. Added 4 Nassarius snails, 4 turbo snails, 10 Blue leg hermits, 1 Red hermit and 10 black snails, plus have a 9Wuv filter w my powerhead set at the lowest possible speed. What else can I do to eliminate algae? 90 gallon tank.

Temp 78F, SG 1.020, pH 8.3, Alk 7, Calcium 460, 0ppm Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate
:silly:

Diatoms or brown algae are common for a new tank. They should eventually burn out. Are you using RO/DI water for water changes and top off? Diatoms are fueled by silicates which are common in tap water.

No. Wasn't sure if I needed one. Is there any end to the amount of equipment needed for Marine Aquariums? Filters, Powerheads, heaters, backup heaters, protein skimmers, uv filters, lighting, test kits, additives. Now the water we feed our children (Actually don't have any) isn't good enough for fish?
Do you recommend a ROID?

No. Wasn't sure if I needed one. Is there any end to the amount of equipment needed for Marine Aquariums? Filters, Powerheads, heaters, backup heaters, protein skimmers, uv filters, lighting, test kits, additives.

Believe it or not... there is an end!

Now the water we feed our children (Actually don't have any) isn't good enough for fish?
Do you recommend a ROID?

Depends on your water. Major difference between our children and fish is that our children don't spend 100% of their day submersed in water, drawing their oxygen from it.

For a FOWLR tank which is what I think you have, I wouldn't say it's a necessary thing. But if you end up fighting algae battles in the long run, it's probably the best thing to do.

Lighting hours also important, if you keep your lights over 8hours diatoms are likely to bloom faster

Back
Top Bottom