Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #191
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTricia View Post
OK. Reply to both of you guys. I'm not even sure I can find a Betta to look at and would like to see one before I buy. BTW, what size tank is he in?
As far as Wrasses, it's probably a silly reason I don't want one. My clowns were the first fish in my reef. Then I bought a flasher. Three days later, it was gone. It couldn't have jumped as this was a closed cube; nowhere to go. I never found any part of it. Just disappeared. Amost killed me. They are beautiful, and I've been tempted, but the stigma remains. Losing all of my chromis was devastating as that tank was cycled for a week. Then, all of a sudden, it wasn't. Scared to put anything in there now.

Ya flashers do best when they're the first fish added, and then given a couple weeks to establish themselves. But with an empty tank it's a perfect time to try again , just be sure to get a lid or some eggcrate

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 04-01-2015, 02:03 PM   #192
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, it's an empty tank all right, except for the shrimp that survived. But why would a wrasse just disappear? I took into consideration the fact that some sleep under the sand, and after 3 days I took a fork and gently raked the sand; no wrasse. I did have a (I'm gonna spell this wrong) narcissus and I always wondered if it got him, but they don't eat live stuff. Makes me gun shy. But they are so beautiful. And I have a tight lid. And cats.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #193
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

New FOWLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTricia View Post
Well, it's an empty tank all right, except for the shrimp that survived. But why would a wrasse just disappear? I took into consideration the fact that some sleep under the sand, and after 3 days I took a fork and gently raked the sand; no wrasse. I did have a (I'm gonna spell this wrong) narcissus and I always wondered if it got him, but they don't eat live stuff. Makes me gun shy. But they are so beautiful. And I have a tight lid. And cats.

Sounds like stress induced death, and then it was probably eaten by the other things in the tank, it happens some times unfortunately. While there's no way a nassarious could catch a healthy fish they are voracious predators that will eat what ever they can catch. If they are first in though the success rate goes up exponentially, and a cool behavior for your budding marine biologist to watch when the male gets to showing off . Another cool relationship is the pistol/goby bond, my daughter is fascinated watching my hi-fin/ candy cane pistol do their thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 04-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #194
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All right, all right, I will research wrasses again. I was new to salt back then, maybe I just didn't acclimate long enough or correctly. Salt is a lot different than fresh. (DUHHH!)
I want a midas blenny, but was told not to have gobies with blennies or a disaster will happen. Opinion?
Old 04-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #195
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

As long as they don't look like each other you're ok. A lawnmower blenny is fine in a tank with an engineer goby, for example.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #196
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So what do I do, blindfold both of them?
Old 04-05-2015, 09:15 PM   #197
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As anyone who has followed my posts knows, I began a FOWLR in early January. With plenty of problems going on in the family, I wasn't able to devote much time to the cycling tank. Once the time came for me to finally test, everything indicated that the tank was cycled. Problems with the LFS led me to get 3 medium blue green Chromis and a cleaner shrimp. A week and a half after that, all I had left was the shrimp. Then began the worst case of diatoms I've ever seen, but they eased up for a couple of weeks. Now I have diatoms again, just not as bad. The shrimp is still there. While I still had the fish, I must have had another cycle because all of a sudden I had nitrites. This could have killed the fish, but it was politely suggested that it could have been stress from all the moves to get them from ocean to my tank. Honestly, I'm afraid to add more fish. Do diatom blooms hurt them, or is it ok to add fish?
I had discussed a new stocking list with several on the forum, leaving off Chromis, and maybe adding Anthias, dottybacks, and wrasses. I like the sunrise dottyback, the bicolor, fathead, bartlett's and Princess anthiases (sp?), the McCoskers wrasse, carpenters wrasse, and, possibly a Klein's butterfly. Forgive the misspellings. I already have on my permanent list a Midas blenny, coral beauty, saddled (mimic) filefish, and possibly a few chalk bass. Now, obviously, I do not expect to put all these fish in a 40b, but I'd like the opinion from the group as to what I should forget and why, what will or won't go together, and in what order the finalists should be added. I'm not asking for a lot, am I? Thanks everyone. 😉

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 04-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #198
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, ok, no bicolor or princess anthias. No Klein's butterfly. I keep researching different sites, so my own change of opinion. And yours?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 04-05-2015, 11:03 PM   #199
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Liveaquaria is the most accurate in terms of best estimated tank requirements.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:59 AM   #200
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Unhappy

Yes, I went there, but they have different tank sizes listed than the current books. If that is the case, then most, if not all of the fish recommended by the guys on the forum I can't have due to tank size. So I am stuck with really small fish. Bummer!!

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com