Beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AndrewsPistol said:
Idk if this is the cycle booster spike of but I bought a bottle of bio spira for my freshwater tank and when it arrived I noticed it was for saltwater. I'm trying to sell it if your interested....

How much is it?

It's like $17 in the store. I paid like $25 to have it shipped fast to my house and like I said when it got here I realized I couldn't use it because its for saltwater and I have a freshwater setup.

There are many things u can add to speed up the process but the best thing always is to let it do it by itself another thing that will help with the process would be your filter. U have a hang on the back filter not to go for a saltwater tank but for a small tank I t could work. If u have a DSB ( deep sand bed ) that is a big plus not a must but will help a lot and live rock will not only start your cycle but is and with the combine of a DSB a great filter for the 3 levels you are trying to control!!!!

There are many things u can add to speed up the process but the best thing always is to let it do it by itself another thing that will help with the process would be your filter. U have a hang on the back filter not to go for a saltwater tank but for a small tank I t could work. If u have a DSB ( deep sand bed ) that is a big plus not a must but will help a lot and live rock will not only start your cycle but is and with the combine of a DSB a great filter for the 3 levels you are trying to control!!!!

Please elaborate....:blink:

Just sit it out and wait. It will cycle without adding questionable chemicals to your tank. It sucks to wait but it has to be done.

Good luck, it will happen, believe it or not. lol

Well your sand bed is were the bacteria u want in your tank to break down the ammonia into nitrite then from nitrite into nitrate live.so having a DSB is the best thing because it's your biological filter for ur tank the hang on the back filter is really only good for taking some of the physical things out of your water the carbon that also usually come it takes some toxic things that is usually from your hands and stuff that's on your hand out to. And also the live rock is another natural filter the organisms u find in your live sand is also in the live rock you get but make sure it's live rock not base rock. But it takes awhile for all these organism u want in your tank to grow but as I said there are ways to speed it up like buying live rock from well established tank and u will get these organism with the live rock or live sand u get from that tank just put it in your tank and it will take off. They multiple fast and this I think is one of the best ways to ether start or so called ( speed up your cycle process) I don't know if people advise this but I know it's working for me so far everything in my tank is doing great I haven't had a spike at all and I have yet so do a water change but there are other factors that helps also with my tank to get like that. But also my tank is new may have problems in future but until I see problems I will keep my tank this way.

Lol sorry for mixing things up hopefully u understand it

Squantobeatinu said:
Well your sand bed is were the bacteria u want in your tank to break down the ammonia into nitrite then from nitrite into nitrate live.so having a DSB is the best thing because it's your biological filter for ur tank the hang on the back filter is really only good for taking some of the physical things out of your water the carbon that also usually come it takes some toxic things that is usually from your hands and stuff that's on your hand out to. And also the live rock is another natural filter the organisms u find in your live sand is also in the live rock you get but make sure it's live rock not base rock. But it takes awhile for all these organism u want in your tank to grow but as I said there are ways to speed it up like buying live rock from well established tank and u will get these organism with the live rock or live sand u get from that tank just put it in your tank and it will take off. They multiple fast and this I think is one of the best ways to ether start or so called ( speed up your cycle process) I don't know if people advise this but I know it's working for me so far everything in my tank is doing great I haven't had a spike at all and I have yet so do a water change but there are other factors that helps also with my tank to get like that. But also my tank is new may have problems in future but until I see problems I will keep my tank this way.

Lol sorry for mixing things up hopefully u understand it

Thanks for clearing things up.

I am new at this. Have a small
tank with filter and heater, one betta. It's fins are curly and eyes bulging. Changed water yesterday and then saw tons of tiny worms crawling along sides of tank. Grossed me out! Put things through dishwasher...will that kill anything. Not sure what to do here.

They maybe brissle worms if they are then I can't tell u anything because I heard people keeping them cause there good for eating uneatin food and help with the system all together then there are some who say they are bad but I keep them in my tank but I'm also 6-8 months myself in the hobby so I don't know for myself but from what I seen there not bad. But maybe a mr x or c capt or another advance guy can help u

I think powerheads are a great idea if you don't have them. :)
You need the flow to keep all the junk off the sand bed and to keep the water flowing into the filter.

I just bought and installed Coralife 1300 circulation pump. It's really nice. It pumps 1300gph.

I think I am ready for a fishless cycle. I now have the pure ammonia. Now how do I add this to my water, and how much at a time and when? I ask this because I have been cycling my tank since the 24th of January, 2012.

Last edited:
I have a 29gal and I used almost a full cap to get 4 ppm. A little goes a LONG way. What ammonia r u using

TigerBarbs said:
I have a 29gal and I used almost a full cap to get 4 ppm. A little goes a LONG way. What ammonia r u using

I was going task the same question as I'm sure I read that if you shake the bottle and it foams it's full of rubbish and shouldn't be used...

Back
Top Bottom