Bio-Balls Submerged...Good/Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcdwep

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently converted my HOB wet/dry to merely a large overflow that leads to my fuge under the tank. In doing this, I have created a fuge of type out of the HOB. Being a wet/dry it has the bio-balls section. I extended my plumbing high enough for the drain down to my fuge so that the section with the balls is submerged at all times. I have not yet removed the balls. Should I leave them or replace with lr? I have read alot about using lr in this manner but was wondering if the bio-balls would be okay left underwater. Any thoughts? TIA

I would remove them and put a few large chunks of LR in there. The large chunks is so as to get some nitrate removal capacity from this vs simply nitrite removal from LR rubble.

So, LR rubble is only a nitrite remover as opposed to large chunks being nitrate removers? I did not know that. My only problem now is being careful not to over weight the HOB and destroy it all! Thanks for the input.

The bacteria on lr rubble is for nitrification(nitrite to nitrate). The denitrification process needs anaerobic conditions. The rubble is not large enough to have the places inside that lack the oxygen for this nitrate removal.

Back
Top Bottom