Black slimey junk Updated with pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have two suggestions. One I would retest and post your water test results including phosphates and since you have LR and a clean up crew I would go for a black out of your tank. I would leave your lights off for a few days. Your LR and clean up crew will be OK. You might want to think about it for a week. It will not harm your tank and will help to break up this stuff by the light not being a fuel source. Try the lights out. I know people that have done this even with corals and got it under control. We still need to find the source. I`ll bet its excessive nutrients.

Hey quixand. I agree w/ you that there is no reason. Some people just have issues with cyano and can never figure out why or how it got there. I agree with melosu that a black out may be what you need. I know flow has been mentioned many times, and you are probably getting tired of me asking you :), but are you sure flow is getting to the bottom of your tank? I see alot of filtration towards to top, but none shooting toward the bottom. Just another thought.

Good luck

I have a maxijet 1200 pointing at a patch of cyano, that is on a rock. It has been three days and only a little bit of it is gone, so it does take some time.

So you think I need two powerheads in this small of a tank? One further down blowing against the sand bed?

I'll leave the tank dark for the next week and see it that helps.

You just want some movement along the surface of the sand, not so much that it blows the sand everywhere.
THose spots of cyano are a good indication that there is no movement.

Well. If you look at the tank picture, I have excellent surface ripple, if I turn it down to the next angle, I get no surface ripple.

Suggestions then?

This is interesting -- I never knew about having PH aimed at the sand? In my tank theres not much bottom showing (all covered in rocks) but both my ph are aimed up at the top. Should I have them aiming towards the liverock/sand bed?

GuOD said:
This is interesting -- I never knew about having PH aimed at the sand? In my tank theres not much bottom showing (all covered in rocks) but both my ph are aimed up at the top. Should I have them aiming towards the liverock/sand bed?
I like to have mine on opposite ends of the tank, pointing toward eachother. I use the SEIO 620s http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12074&N=2004+113040 in my 55G. I am fighting hair algae right now. I will hook up my RO/DI this weekend and I have switched to reef crystals salt, to see if that makes a difference (I have a new batch brewing in my bathroom, as I type).

I have 3 powerheads in my 29 gallon tank. 1 pointing to the surface and 2 pointing in alternating positions along the side of the tank to create a circular flow. Has worked wonders for me in regards to cyanobacteria after adding the third powerhead. You can stick 8 powerheads on the top of your tank, but with none getting to the bottom you'll still have cyano problems.

Hope this helps. I agree with the others that another powerhead could be the answer to you problems.

Thanks. I originally purchased 2 powerheads but now I sort've wished I had 3 :)

Currently I have 1 in front right top and one in back left top and they shoot straight/slightly up, so they create air at the top and sorta make a whirlpool effect. I will consider moving the front top right one to the back top right and have them shoot in a V to the front middle.

I will also have 800gph filter when it's back and I'll aim that one down at the live rocks from the back left middle.

Alrighty. I'll give that a go, with the darkness. I'll post my results in the coming days.

Picked up a MJ1200 and put it on the back left glass aimed at the front of the glass and the surface. I moved the penguin 1140 to point at the glass, but in a slightly downward angle. Now I have excellent surface agitation, and the algae is blowing slowly and gently off the sand bed as we speak. Water I guess is doing a circle.

Will post a pic after each day.

Sand bed is starting to look better already as of this morning.

Will take pictures and post when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom