Building sump for 210

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait why do you need 7" hole why so big

My return is 2400gph so I just went with 4" socks since I have 1 1/2" drain pipes. Yes sorry the glass is 7" wide and drilled for two 4" filter socks. One for each overflow. My mind went faster than my fingers.

I mentioned 7" socks I earlier I believe....and it's just to be able to get my hand down inside them and turn them inside out easily. On my tank, if I used 4" socks, I would probably be changing them out every other day.

I mentioned 7" socks I earlier I believe....and it's just to be able to get my hand down inside them and turn them inside out easily. On my tank, if I used 4" socks, I would probably be changing them out every other day.

So since i wont be needing the room for an in-sump skimmer should i make the 1st chamber 9" for a 7" filter sock or stick with 4". It's a 210 gallon DT with a lot of fish and the trigger, yellow belly regal, yellow tang and my foxface will probably be putting out a lot of waste. I'm going to use a sock for each drain and i have a mag 24 for my return. Also brings me to my next question, what lights should i get? I want to go with LEDs and i want it to sit on the front and back glass over the fuge so it needs to be 18". these are what ive come across
18" Skkylight by innovative marine in 10K spectrum $90 is still a little steep for a fuge lol
Innovative Marine SkkyeLight SingleStrip LED Light: LED Aquarium Light Fixtures
Marineland Doublebright
Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: Marineland LED Double Bright Lighting System

What about one of these?
18W CREE 4inch LED Light Bar 2160LM Flood Beam Offroad Work Lamp Save on 27W 35W | eBay
You could screw it to the underside of the stand, and it would be out of the way.

Wouldn't a 7" sock fit in your 7" compartment?

I haven't built the sump just yet because i'm trying to have the biggest fuge space possible. What size hole does a 7" sock use? If the hole has to be 7" then i'd need a little glass on either end to support the holes being cut out for the sock to sit in. Plus most of the 7" socks I've seen are 17" long and i only plan to run 12" of water in the 40B I'm building my sump out of. That LED should work out if it will throw a wide enough light to cover my fuge space.

The sock could sit out of the water some. It will clog past the point of the water level and just run down the sides of the sock nicely into the sump. Mine sock holders have the socks about 8" or so out of the water. See it to the far left?
img_2656783_0_305bc90824f15d6ce49de76b6477a89f.jpg

The sock could sit out of the water some. It will clog past the point of the water level and just run down the sides of the sock nicely into the sump. Mine sock holders have the socks about 8" or so out of the water. See it to the far left?
img_2656803_0_305bc90824f15d6ce49de76b6477a89f.jpg

Makes sense that way. I just have my 40B going under my stand and want to keep everything in the tank. Would it hurt for the sock to just bunch up on the bottom of the tank? If not I'll go with 4" since i can find them as short as 8"and as long as 14". Also what micron would you run? I have very minimal coral right now but i was having nitrate issues with my Wet/Dry system and the filter pads are beginning to be a pain to try and get out of the sump to clean every 3-4 days like i am doing now. I want the water to come from the drains and the output pipe to be under the refugium water line since the tank is in my living room and the trickle from the W/D is really starting to bother me lately. Awesome setup BTW.

Ok I'll do some checking around. Anyone interested in a pro clear premier 300 Wet/dry sump lol Now i have to find a place to sell this system.

Also im going to be running my original Mag24 return pump (but i still have my old mag12 if i need a lower flow in the fuge) so what is a good heavy grain live sand you would recommend for a refugium that i wont have to worry about it blowing around?

I wouldn't have the refugium that turbulent. I wouldn't use live sand either. Just get dry sand and rinse it and put it in there. If you put some rock rubble in there, whatever is in that will populate the sand in a short time. Put whatever sand you are using in the display in there.

I think the mag 24 may be a bit much for a 40 breeder sump.

Yeah I think it will be way to big my sump/ fuge is a DIY 55g and my DT is a 75g I put the sump in the basement and have about 9' of head and a few 45s with a 1" drain coming out of a hob crp 90 overflow from everything I read I figured I needed about a mag 24 turned out it was way to big I even had a valve that was more than half shut and there was still to much water someone on here suggested a mag 9.5 so I found one on Craigslist for 20 bucks and it is now a perfect match for my overflow

I wouldn't have the refugium that turbulent. I wouldn't use live sand either. Just get dry sand and rinse it and put it in there. If you put some rock rubble in there, whatever is in that will populate the sand in a short time. Put whatever sand you are using in the display in there.

I think the mag 24 may be a bit much for a 40 breeder sump.
So I'll drop it to the Mag12. and run PVC to increase my water flow. These barbed fittings dropped my GPH pretty bad when i went to flexible tubing. Plus the reason i jumped to the 24 was I have two Overflows rated at 1800 GPH each and with the 12 it was gurggling no matter what i did with my standpipes. I'll just keep fiddling with them or modify my drains to a 1" drain instead of 1.5" and that may slow the drain down enough.

Yeah I think it will be way to big my sump/ fuge is a DIY 55g and my DT is a 75g I put the sump in the basement and have about 9' of head and a few 45s with a 1" drain coming out of a hob crp 90 overflow from everything I read I figured I needed about a mag 24 turned out it was way to big I even had a valve that was more than half shut and there was still to much water someone on here suggested a mag 9.5 so I found one on Craigslist for 20 bucks and it is now a perfect match for my overflow
My 24 pushes a lot of water for sure and i really would rather drop back to the mag 12 anyway since i liked it better. My overflows will just have to be tweaked a little i guess.

Interesting. I would have thought it would be louder with the stronger pump, not the other way around.
It looked to me like they were getting air in making a slurping sound. After the mag24 was put in they stayed nearly silent. I assumed it was because the extra water kept the pipes filled up

you can also use some airline tubing to quiet the stand pipes. Slide a piece down each pipe and find the sweet spot, then tie/tape it off.

Back
Top Bottom