Bursa or Undulated Triggerfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marinelif3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey!

I need help, I am torn between the two, Bursa or Undulated Triggerfish. My tank can only handle one of these fish. Whichever I buy, he/she will be the only fish in the tank with some live rock. The tank just finished cycling, and there is one hermit crab in there. I know he would most likely be eaten when the trigger grows up. So considering all factors, looks, behavior, aggressiveness and most importanly hardiness. Which one is the better choice Bursa or Undulated Triggerfish? Both are almost the same price and size, about 2 1/2 inches.

I have a Undulated and it is fun to watch him. I have 2 damsels in with him that both pick on him and he does nothing but run away.

Without knowing specifics of your tank (size, inhabitants, etc), my vote is for the Bursa based on Undulated's being at the top of the aggressive list.

If you ONLY want one FISH in the tank and no other inhabitants meaning no crabs snails damsels nothing. The undulated would be fine This is the only way to keep the undulated triggerfish unless you get them in a highly aggressive tank and put them with larger tankmates. The undulated is alot more beautiful of a triggerfish i think than the bursa. The bursas are i think the cheapiest triggerfish if your gonna go with it have you looked at the picasso (huma huma) triggerfish. They look something like a bursa but wayy prettier. I still would go with the undulated just because they are so pretty and need all the owners attention to themselves!! Watch out as well, they are well known for re arranging the tank to their needs!! Crazy little guys they are

Ours is pretty good about rearranging the tank. We weren't thinking when we set up his tank and have sand as the substrate. He fanned out a littel hole in the middle of the LR and that's his happy little cave.

Thanks for all the reply, I ended up getting an Undulated. When it comes to looks against bursa, Undulated really does look better in person IMO. It was my first time seeing the two in person. Anyways, another factor that influenced me getting the Undulated was the fact that I have read several websites indicating their hardiness, some of the websites even said that the owners used them for cycling the tank, although I would not try it, its nice to know a beautiful fish could be really hardy too.

Back
Top Bottom