Chillers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonedogz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have a good knowledge of aquarium chillers. I was looking at a chiller that was 1/10 horse which it states is rated for an 80 gal. tank. I have a 90 gal tank but with all my rock I don't have 90 gallons of water I have maybe only 70 gals. Would this one work. When they say 80 gals. do they mean a tank with only water in it. Thanks for any help

Usually the ratings are low. If it says 80 gal. that usually means max. With chillers, they will run all the time if they are small. They use a lot of power like a fridge. You would be better off going with a little larger one that would cool more efficiently. Therefore running less. If you don't care how much it runs then you could probably get away with the one you selected. The other thing to consider is where you buy it. I have had problems with the shipping. They are easily broken during shipping. So if you can get one at a lfs you might be better off.

On another note...how much of a drop in temp. are you looking at?

chiller

Thanks for the advice guys. I was looking for like 10 degrees. I'm not even sure I want to get one was kinda just inquiring. Thanks again

10 degrees is a lot of work for a 1/10 hp chiller even if it's the correct size. What temp are you looking for. A normal tank only needs to be at ~82 degrees for most fish and corals. 79 degrees at its lowest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom