Clown Fish Behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ament83

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

Has anyone out there got or had a Clown Fish that swims sideways at the top of the tank?

Mine has been doing it basically since we had him (3 months) and seems quite comfortable in doing so. When you feed him flakes he'll swim on his side at the top eating away, if you add brine he'll start swimming normally again but after the foods gone he generally heads back to his spot next to the filter.

Not really concerned as he seems happy enough, just seeing if anyone else had noticed this behaviour? I've got a bad quality video of it, but obviously can't post it

Thanks!

usaully when fish hang out at the top of the water near the filters it means their looking for oxygen or something isn't right with the water quality.

I dont think thats normal behaviour because of the 3 month time frame.If you could post your water parameters etc you may get some more information.

I thought that I'd add that I have a pair of firefish, a scooter goby, coral banded shrimp, a small star fish, one snail and two soft corals. All which are fine and acting normal. When we first got the Clown he was very small (about 3/4"/20mm). Could you let me know what you mean by water parameters? I'm new to the SW game and not right up with the terminology?
-Thanks!

Tank raise clowns have strange behavior like that. They usually hang out near the water surface and close to some kind of pump. Mine swim sideway when they sleep but i havn't seen them swim like that when they are awake though. My guess is maybe yours are still too small to really swim normally?

Almost forgot, Welcome to AA! :)

my clow swims sideways when the lights are off and outside light from a windows is sorta sining on the front of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom