Clowns and yellow tail damsels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Ryan,
I would think mixing anything with yellow tails would be medium risk, except for maybe more damsels, triggers, and shark! Those little guys are really mean.

Flreefer said:
Hey Ryan,
I would think mixing anything with yellow tails would be medium risk, except for maybe more damsels, triggers, and shark! Those little guys are really mean.

Yeah that's what I thought I just found them on Kijiji 3 for 20$ but I might pass

Honestly, I would pass on them even if they were free! They would really limit what other fish you could have down the road.

Yeah, they are nice looking fish, I agree. But they really are aggressive, and they seem to get worse with age.
There's plenty more fish in the sea! Haha
Best of luck, Ryan. :)

Flreefer said:
Yeah, they are nice looking fish, I agree. But they really are aggressive, and they seem to get worse with age.
There's plenty more fish in the sea! Haha
Best of luck, Ryan. :)

Haha thanks thats probably why they are selling them

Yeah ive only really had bad experiences with them, no matter whats in the tank, and as said they get even more territorial/aggressive with age it seems.

There is a reason you dont see many tanks with full grown damsels.

People forget those cute little clowns are damsels and can and will be just as mean ..
Plus the yellow tails are a little more mellow than say a domino ...
In a 55 there is enough room IMO and IME...I had a pair of ocellaris and yellowtails together in a 75 for years
Now keep in mind if you do put them in just about any other fish you want in the future will probably be harassed to death..Exceptions may be a royal gramma or hawkfish which i housed with mine just fine

FTMMWS said:
People forget those cute little clowns are damsels and can and will be just as mean ..
Plus the yellow tails are a little more mellow than say a domino ...
In a 55 there is enough room IMO and IME...I had a pair of ocellaris and yellowtails together in a 75 for years
Now keep in mind if you do put them in just about any other fish you want in the future will probably be harassed to death..Exceptions may be a royal gramma or hawkfish which i housed with mine just fine

Yeah I know they are in the damsel family that's why I am wondering if they will get along because 2 clowns that are not paired will usually face off. That's why I was asking to see others experience.

I had no issues with mine..I wouldn't do it in a 20 gallon but a 55 will give them plenty of room.

That's funny I am building a 20 gallon right now but I also bought a 55 gallon reef about a month ago that iam re stocking they were in consideration for the 55 but I am not sure yet just fishin for Ideas lol

When I first started and didn't know any better, I ended up putting a occ clown and a blue damsel in the same tank. They don't really bother each other. I would still give that damsel away if I could. Any fish added after he has bullied to death until I reintroduced my royal gramma, the only not timid gramma on the planet, and he is back to ruling the tank.

i had a tellow tail for a week and he was a killer but didnt bother the clowns

dwint said:
i had a tellow tail for a week and he was a killer but didnt bother the clowns

I am just being cautious because there are firefish a clown goby and a yellow watchman goby and a royal gramma too I wanna stay mild temper at best

Hey Ryan, I wouldn't do any Damsels with that stock. Except the clowns of course, :). Haha
You would probably never see the firefish.

I have a pair of true perculas in a 29 with blue damsel and they all get along famously. Perhaps the ferocious gene comes with the yellow tail.

Starchar said:
I have a pair of true perculas in a 29 with blue damsel and they all get along famously. Perhaps the ferocious gene comes with the yellow tail.

You may have something there lol what else you got in that 29?

I have 7 damsels in my tank. They are kept in check by my tangs though. I have one blue green, three yellow tails and 3 neon blue. Oh and two clowns. My clowns are more aggressive than the damsels.

Back
Top Bottom