Coraline Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just curious to know how long it takes for coraline to start? I've had my tank up for 5 months now, and ~65 lbs of live rock that I had ordered from liveaquaria when I started up the tank. I have very small dots of coraline on a few of the rocks, no more than say a small button size.

Two common clowns, a coral beauty, several small blue hermits, and nassarius snails as the residents.

I dont have a phosphate/silicate test, but no other algae problems at all ( eg: no undesired algae) neither a calcium test since it is a FOWLR. Basic 40 watt R/O lighting. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate ~15 ppm.

I know things take time, but I just figured I'd have a bit more growing by now ;)

We will need a calcium, Alk and magnesium reading. Most LFS can do it for you if you take them a sample. Also be careful what you wish for because when it does come it will be all over the tank, rocks and equipment. LOL You might also need to seed some into your tank.

Do you have some that look like this......

Attachments

• IMG_1052.jpg
    IMG_1052.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1053.jpg
    IMG_1053.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 70
True, I suppose its good I have a little. I'll have to look into getting a calcium test. I'm guessing that's probably the issue, since I just have a small amount of it over 5 months and no other algae issues. If thats the case, I imagine you'd recommend a calcium suppliment?

How come the coraline always forms on the back glass of the tank and never on the other 3 sides?

hahaha...probably. I'm getting it in the back of my tank but not the other sides yet.

I've noticed a bit more today, but still tiny little spots. Nothing anywhere near like that pic! Time to get a calcium test! hah, thanks for the info.

Purple Up is a pretty good Calcium supplement. Check it out! Iv been using it for a year and have had great Results. Considering I use almost two bottles in my 1000 gallon!!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom