Creating a safe environment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys, this has been a great thread. I do have a bit more to add. I did find some more information and it did come from a book unfortunately I did not write the name of it down but I will work on getting it. Here is what I learned. Ich is always and forever present in a up and running tank. It can remain dormant for long periods of time. There is a misconception that a new fish being introduced in a DT brings ich with it, yes it does happen but more times than not either the new fish is weak or stressed or stresses out the exsisting fish and in the weakened state the ich will then attach to the fish. The idea that removing your fish from the DT to "break" the cycle is a myth parasites exsist in all tanks period. If you were to remove your fish for a month and try this and then put them back and lower the temp on the tank or do something else to stress or weaken the fish according to this article ich would be present the next day. I laso read a small section on deactivating copper and carbon will deactivate copper in water/rock/& substrate it may take a bit longer in the rock and substrate but it will eventually be completely gone. More or less the article said chemicals are really a must for the aquarium hobbyist. I also read a snipet about the effects of copper on inverts and there have been tests performed to substaniate that not just red hairy hermits but all hermit crabs are not affected by copper and it is not harmful to them. As I said I will do my best to get authors names and book titles and repost them. Let me also add after reading this I did call three different saltwater shops and instant ocean along with my friend and they did agree with what I read. Again I guess these are opinions but are opinions by more than one. Thanks for reading :)

I would be interested if you could get that book and scan it in, or type it out. I would like to read the article in entirety, seems interesting.
As for chemicals being needed in the aquarium hobby, I have to politely disagree. The ocean does just fine without dumping phosban and other crap into it. That being said, we could never get the kind of stability the ocean has in our tanks, but i sure do like to get as close as possible with natural remedies before i try chemicals.
Let us know if you can scrounge up that book.

I will go back to the book store tonight and check my internet history for what I read online. Although even if I can get it posted on here it seems there are still people who know otherwise. Thats what I love about these sites its a great debate forum. Kurt I wish you would give me a call when you have time you seem so knowledgable I would enjoy talking to you first hand and or have you talk to my friend Jeff first hand maybe the two of you both have valuable info. 920-915-9020 Chris

Back
Top Bottom